My story might help others with TN

Posted , 1 user is following.

im now 55 years old now, 1-1/2 years ago on or around july 2022, i was eating/chewing on some hard candy (lemon heads) the next day i woke up with 2 pieces of loose tooth in my mouth and was like wtf! the 2 pieces was from tooth #15, i went to my dentist, and he suggested i get a root canal, a few days later another piece came out, and i looked in my mouth and wasn’t sure if i still should get the root canal because if the way the tooth now looked, so went back to the dentist and he said no, don’t get the root Canal, remove that tooth and the wisdom tooth while you are at it,

so i went to an oral surgeon had both teeth removed. the following day i had a hematoma in my mouth, and my mouth felt so messed up and in lots of pain, after a week a 2 with no relief i went to another oral surgeon for a second opinion, that oral surgeon told me whoever worked on me broke off my tuberosity, and a piece of my buccal plate which are pieces of the upper jaw. i confronted the surgeon that worked on me till this day he denies it even tho there is proof on a cone beam cat scan that was done on the 2nd opinion office that i paid $350 for.

I’ve been to a total of over 43 different doctors ranging from oral surgeon, endontist, oral pathology, ent, neurology, emergency rooms, and so forth,

i also found out that the oral surgeon that worked on me did a procedure called "buccal advancement flap" he apprantly went into my sinus and used this procedure to close a communication in my sinus cavity.

i also had to go for a second surgery to file down some bone that was sticking out of the gums in the extraction site,

after going through 3 different neurologist i demanded the request an mri to see why im in pain, the mri showed that i have a pinched nerve / trigimenal neuralgia , ive tried several medications and pain meds, for constant pain that is coming from tooth #14 &13 but more pain on #14, i go to an oral surgeon they say go get a root canal although the xray shows nothing wrong with teeth, soi go to an endontist they say i don’t need a root canal, I've been like a ping pong ball going back and forth trying to get help, and almost went ahead and did the root canal, sat at the endontist chair and after he inject my mouth with 2 doses of numbing agent i was in severe pain and discomfort and had to leave his office with tears coming out my eyes, i was in excruciating pain for 2 days after that visit,

i did some extensive research on this condition and see that allot of people are having unessary root canals or teeth extraction because they are having pain and or discomfort in there teeth, which is my current problem, the goverment has done a study on this trigimenal nuralgia and the study shows that allot of people were doing root canals or several teeth extractions. as i have so far read the same things from people in this forum,

looking back at my story i made 5 very bad mistakes, .... after the fact i read online that as you get older wisdom tooth extraction are more difficult with a higher chance of complication if you take them out at an older age,

#1. i should of never taken out that wisdom tooth because there was nothing wrong with it, you know the saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it" mistake

#2 i should of never listened to my dentist recommendation to have it removed when the main issue i was having was the tooth before it

#3. i should have consulted with an actual endontist first before going to get the tooth removed, that’s there full time speciality.

#4. i should have done better research and went to a different oral surgeon.

#5. and here is the kicker. don’t chew on hard candy, on ice, or anything hard for that matter, i learned how valuable teeth are, and what can happen when you don’t take care of them, I haven’t been Able to chew on left side of mouth ever since and it’s weird constantly chewing from just one side when eating, this has ruined the quality of my life, i have sleep apnea, and can’t treat it because ghe strapsfrom the face mask press against the cheek giving me more pain, im in constant pain, depressed, anxious, and tired from lack of sleep.

i opted not to do any root canal or tooth extraction based on everything I’ve read during my research, and I’m definetly not having the surgery that treats TN, it’s just to scary for me. For now i just periodically take pain meds and will see a mental therapist to help me cope with this maybe possible antidepressants/anxiety pills.

please Tell your friends and family to take care of there teeth to avoid this happening to them . floss, don’t chew on hard stuff, and to visit there dentist every 6 months for cleaning / xray or cavity fillings.

To those that read this, stay strong, don’t give up, your not alone and I’m sorry you are going through this as well.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.