My symptoms- do they sound like AS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello,

do my symptoms sound like AS? have you guys and girls broadly had the same symptoms? :

-basically pain down one side of body

-back pain- especially lower and mid back pain

-hip pain- around the hip and on outside

-slight pain running down back of leg like hamstring tightness

-pain right at bottom of heel and pain or at least discomfort under the foot

when things are at its worse I also get:

-neck pain and tightness

-tightening around the jaw and when it happens i need to open my jaw and a loud popping sound occurs

-head pain like a line to the right of centre on top of head.

-shoulder pain and tightness

-pain at times coming round the right side of the ribs and sometimes pain at the front breastbone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dylan

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hi Dylan

I havent been diagnosed with AS but like you I am looking for answers. I have all the symptoms you describe except the head pain. I have right rib pain, it feels widespread and like a gnawing feeling. The tendons in my feet, ankles and achillies tendon are stiff and painful especially when I get up out of bed or sitting for a while. Mid and lower back pain, pain in my buttocks when i bend, pain over my hips, hamstring pain. I also have to pop my jaw back in on the left now as it sometimes pops out when i'm eating and is painful. Neck pain when I tilt to the left, left shoulder pain if i try to lift anything with a bit of weight and pain and numbness in both elbows that make my last 2 fingers go numb. I know this isn't an answer for you but its interesting that we both have similar symptoms and looking for the same disease? I had an x ray a couple of weeks ago as my back pain is horrendous at the moment. I have a condition called spondylolisthesis but with all the other symptoms I have now I'm sure I have AS as well. I am getting a call from the doc today about x ray results so I will find out if anything other than my spondy shows up. I always think I have something horrible like cancer as I feel so crappy most of the time and the anxiety makes my symptoms worse. Have you been to a doctor about your symptoms yet?

Bella

• Posted

sorry for the delay in answering you.

how are things with you now? have you had any clarity?

i've not yet visited the doc, i have been putting it off for so long - i feel slightly confused with it all, one week i have really bad pains, brain fog and tiredness, then when I'm about to say enough I need to go to the doc I have a good week where the pain is lower - i seem to be oscillating around the edge of the "bad pains" all the time.

however I do have to admit that I use what I believe are coping habits to manage the pains- like going for walks when I get out of bed to ease up the stiffness, eating healthily or basically avoiding bad processed food, taking pain killers .... i think the pattern fits with that cycle, when i "manage" it with these elements things are better then I ease off the management habits and they get worse - im actually here now looking for answers with another management technique I have used which is intermittent fasting- i stumbled on this - ive noticed when I go a few days in a row skipping breakfast its like my pains reduce to mostly stiffness and are much more manageable after over a week of this.

but this sounds so silly to say it im wondering if anyone else has felt this - these symptoms have left me wondering if im crazy sometimes to be honest! 😕

• Edited

Hi

Since I last replied to you I have been to a neurosurgeon in Newcastle. He took more X rays and did a few exams on me and has said I have Sacroiliac joint dysfunction and wants to give me steroid injection into the joint. When i got home i of course googled the title and BAM its exactly what is causing all the pain I have in my left lower side. Interestingly SI joint dysfunction is a common part of Ankylosing spondylitis. I told him about all my other aches and pains, or as much as could remember as there are that many. He didnt seem too concerned but they need investigating. While I am typing this my elbows are painful and my fingers are tingling. I have also been going through a couple of bad bowel days, indegestion, nausea, loss of appetite. I will still be pushing for further investigations as feel horrible most of the time.

You aren't crazy, pain is real and coming from somewhere. I got told I have fibromyalgia but thats just an umbrella term for 'we haven't got a clue whats wrong with you'. I know my mental health affect my symptoms but when theres pain it hard to feel happy and the vicious cycle carries on. Write down a weeks worth of daily symptoms so you have something for whn you speak to doc. I am going to do this because when I start explaining I forget a lot of symptoms.

Let me know how you are and if you call doc.

Take care

Bella

• Posted

Hi Dylan,

Hope all is well with you. All of the symptoms you have been having sounds very similar to what I have expect for a few things. Literally thought it was me.

Anyway, I hope you've been able to find out exactly what's wrong with you since it's been 3 years.

If you have any useful updates, please post here.

Thanks.

• Posted

much of this sounds like me. my legs hurt really bad...anyone? I'm afraid of pad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.