My teenager

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi just wanted some advice on what to do for my 15 year old daughter who suffers with anxiety

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What symptoms is she showing of anxiety worried of goin out the house having panic attacks? Or anything else because cbt therapy might help she's so young but delends how bad her anxiety is and what's causing it
  • Posted

Firstly and most importantly she has her mother.

If you are ok for money pay for a private tharapist, around £60 a session.

Going through the NHS with your GP will more than likely result in a prescription for antidepressants SSRIs.

Stay away from them!

Good luck

• Posted

Sometimes medication is helpfull though because it is a chemical imbalance in the brain what causes the symtoms and sometimes therapy is not always helpful on its own but always recommended while on depressants but depending on the severity of her anxiety and weather it is linked with depression therapy might just be enough on its own I'm on ssri depressant citalopram and it stopped my panic attacks and anxiety and I'm only 20 but someone at the age of 15 it is understandable to avoid depressents but if it's the case she is put on these then there's nothing to worrie about the doctor will do what's right by your daughter
  • Posted

Hi Rachel medication might not be what your daughter needs I personally if it was my child make an appointment for her to see a counsellor my problems started in childhood and I didn't have anywhere to turn there are lots of things that I am sure you are aware of children don't feel comfortable talking to parents about she may feel if she does she is failing you in some way but at least she has a supportive mum 

good luck

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I have anxiety and I'm 14, is there any way she can see a counsellor/therapist through school? I do and I find it helps also to talk to people who feel similar to me or to go on anxiety self help websites, I hope she finds a way to overcome this x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.