my way of getting rid of sciatica

Posted , 3 users are following.

i did it by playing guitar sat down for 6 months,i was on zapain painkillers(just below morphine),every time i walked my feet went numb too.Anybody want more in depth info i will be glad to help

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hard to imagine but I am very curious about your experience, as I had a similar situation where I was forced to remain in bed for 8 weeks because of pain, at which time the pain simply vanished.  This occurred to me three times because I didn't have the insurance to cover surgery.  This method was suggested to me by my brother in law who also did it.  But who can miss work and responsibilities unless they have savings or insurance?  Medications didn't help much and what I was taking caused hallucinations every day.  All my doctor could suggest is surgery.  Epidural shots helped only moderately at first.

Please tell me more about your experience, as I think folks should know these different possibilities when sciatica occurs, since the pain is maddening.

• Posted

hi charles,basically i pulled a muscle in my lower back,which then led to sciatica down my right leg,i had this for 2 years.After a year and a half i took up playing guitar which took my mind off the pain and not being able to go out.After a couple of months playing everyday for upto 1 1/2 hours,the pain lessend gradually,until i was able to go out for short walks,but when walking my feet would go numb.I went to a&e because i was told i could have bad circulation.The doctor took a pulse in my right ankle,and said i had a strong pulse there,so not bad circulation.Around 4 more months of playing guitar,it all dissapeared completely.I think that when i was playing the guitar sat down with it held on my thighs it was actually having physiotherapy.I continue to play now,i use an electric guitar with no amplifier,you can still hear the guitar,but instead of using an acoustic guitar it doesnt cause noise problems,and because the strings are thinner,it is easier to play,i use a stratocaster electric guitar because it has a contoured body which is really comfortable sat down,unlike an acoustic.I recommend to anyone with sciatica to give it a try,and you may enjoy playing music too !
    • Posted

Pretty interesting stuff Richard, maybe someone should write a book of all the weird recoveries from sciatica.  I know from MRI's that I have two bad disks in my middle back and in my lower back, they're about 1/2 the thickness of other disks.  But what actually happens to cause that pain down the nerve to the foot is what I can't figure out.  I'm OK if I sit but when I stand the entire leg goes numb.  If I stand for 15 minutes then the pain concentrates in the hip joint it seems, and it's crippling.  Then if I sit again, in ten minutes I can stand and walk again.  Fortunately I'm 78 and retired now, so I can arrange my life around it.  But I may want to try another bed cure soon as it gets worse this time.  My guess is that it is the inflamation that must be addressed immediately by changing whatever behavior is causing it.

Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.