Mystery diagnosis.. Sudden permanent blind spot

Posted , 2 users are following.

37 year old female. Approximately two years ago, I experienced a headache followed by a sudden large blind spot in one eye. Upon seeing a doctor, I was told that the optic nerve was inflamed but never learned the cause of the sudden blindness. There were no physical indicators for blindness aside from the inflammation. I went through many, many tests with no answers. Soon thereafter, I tested positive for tuberculosis and was treated. I was told that vision may return with treatment of the tb, but it did not. I was also later diagnosed with toxoplasmosis and treated for this as well. A granuloma was found on my right lung. Now, the blindness in one eye persists and I sometimes have “flare ups” where my vision worsens and I experience flashes in my “good eye” as well. These flare ups have been treated with steroids, which seem to help to an extent. At this point, I have seen many doctors and found lots of “pieces” but the puzzle still doesn’t make sense.

Other random info to note.. Diagnosed with IBS (Diarrhea dominant type) Suffered extreme hyperemesis during pregnancies. Now experiencing hypertension.

Any thoughts or insight much appreciated!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

my sister had angle closure glaucoma . she at first noticed intermittent headaches, eye pain, and halos around lights. and had an acute angle closure attack, which is accompanied by severe eye pain, headache, blurry vision, and even nausea and vomiting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.