Narrowband UVB - Genital Areas

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, looking perhaps for some guidance/re-assurance regarding the use of the NB UVB phototherapy on the vitiligo in genital areas.

I've been self-treating this area with (narrowband uvb hand-held) phototherapy 2/3 times a week for 10-20 seconds exposure (for 7 weeks or so) but have recently read a number of articles that this carries an increased risk of cancer (and that practitioners advise not using phototherapy on genital areas)....I have immediately stopped doing this and am now extremely anxious.....does anyone have any view/insight as to whether this will/is a real issue...I'm hoping the limited exposure means it is not a huge issue....? Thanks for any help

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is not risky if you have that short sessions.

Plus there are researches that vitiligo patients are far from the risk of the skin cancer.

Vitiligo is a disadvantage but protecting from the skin cancer is an advantage.you can read many articles aboıt it.

• Posted

Thanks Kaces for your prompt reply.

Just a follow up question....do you have any sense of whether UVB phototherapy on the genital area gives exposure to other types of cancer, not just skin?

• Posted

Just irritability and agitation

you need to check day by day and decide where to cease yourself

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.