Neck and head pain 10 year old girl

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

My daughter was taken ill 6 weeks ago with suspected viral meningitis. She had a lumber puncture to rule out bacterial meningitis which was negative thankfully. However since then she has suffered with chronic head and neck pain ever since. We have been back to the doctors and paediatrics at the hospital but they have been unable to treat successfully. She has an MRI scan booked for tomorrow. Has anybody had a similar experience with their child. She has no energy and is in constant pain. She eats and sleeps fine. Could it be the lumber puncture? can it take this long to recover from meningitis? I'd like some advice please.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i dont have experience as a child but honestly i was so sick for like a month after i got my spinal tap. it was the worst.... i got crazy headaches and couldnt even stand. i had to get 2 blood patches to help heal faster but it still took time . i think your body just goes through a lot of trauma having that done and it takes time to heal. so i would say give it some time. i hope she feels better soon 😦

• Posted

Thank you for responding. It does sound like she is struggling with the same. The blood patch procedure doesn't sound particularly nice but i will see if its an option once we results of the MRI. Thank you once again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.