Need advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

ive been giving steroids (prednisolone) by the doctor but ive been having horrible side effects and refuse to take them does anyone no if the doctor will give me something else apart from them ive got kidney involvment and just want it all to go away has anyone elses doctor gave them anything else apart from steroids because i dont want to carry on taking them just need some advice really and i dont want to be having weight gain whilst on them or moon face because im self contiouse about my weight already but i was also wondering if its the steroids its self that make you gain weight or is it just that they make you hungry all the time and you gain weight just by eating, please reply

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I took prendinsolone for 3 - 4 months and I did't gain weight at all. On the contrary, I was so thin after all the pain and the surgery. You get the moon face if you eat salt...as I know. I have never had moon face but during the treatment I didn't eat salt at all. The thing is that in my situation I strongly believe that without the treatment I would have died. If you have kidney side effects, I think you should think about taking the treatment...

• Posted

Steroids affect your metabolism and how your body deposits fat. This can increase your appetite, leading to weight gain, and in particular lead to extra deposits of fat in your abdomen. However, you must balance the pros and cons of it, specially if you have kidney effects/damage. Steroids can give you a lot of energy when in high doses and you can exercise and lose weight rather than gain. Mood face goes away with termination of steroids. Good luck.

• Posted

hey mia! ive had hsp for about a year and a half now. i tried the steroids but was doing more harm than good because i couldnt eat. if you are able to take the steroids safely id do so. theyre given to you for a reason, dont not take them because youre afraid of appearance and weight gain thats absolutely ridiculous!!! youre sick and thats something you cant change!! i thought i was going to die with red rash covering my body, safe to say it gets better, you heal, and it doesnt last forever!! do whatever you need to do while you have hsp, it may feel like it doesnt end but it does. take the steroids, everyones body is different anyway. youll never know until you try! good luck

• Posted

thankyou, so could i diet whilst on steroids instead of gaining there is a way i can loose?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.