Need advice.. scared!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have what I believe to be Hemifacial spasm.  Every single night, while I'm watching TV, my right eye get very dry all the sudden and I have to blink rapidly, then my eye feels very tight, my eyelid closes half way, and my eye brow raises all at the same time.  This happens several times each night and once and while during the day.  It has been going on for about 4 months now and is getting more severe and frequent.  I went to the eye doctor and he told me my vision is fine and it probably has to do with a facil nerve, then sent me on my way.  I originally though it might be Blepharospsm, but then I found out about the differental diagnosis of Hemifacial spasm if you have the "Babinski's other sign", which is if your eye brow raises the same time your eye lid is forced shut, the it's Hemifacial spasm.  Well.. after reading this is a progressive illness and all the horrible causes.. I'm terrified!  I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and hopefully get a referral to a neurologist.    At this time.. it only seems to effect just my right eye and not the whole side of my face.. but I'm reading that, that is how it starts out.  My eye is literally driving my crazy!  I keep putting eye drops in when it happns, but to no help.  Is there any things to help prevent it from happening?  Also.. does this actually sound like it may be Hemifacial spasm?  Thank you all for your help!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melissa, I am not sure that this sounds like HFS but it's worth seeing a neurologist and getting it checked out.  Most people do not have dry eye or rapid blinking with HFS but I guess it could happen.  HFS is most usually caused by a compression of the 7th cranial nerve by a vein or artery and it isn't life threatening.  It would normally happen at any time rather than just in the evenings too.  In rare cases it could be caused by other things (tumour or MS) but, not normally.  It sounds like you may have a bit too much information at the moment and what you really need is an MRI scan and a definite diagnosis.  Many medics have never seen HFS so you do need someone experienced in this condition to either rule it in or rule it out.  I hope you will find some answers.  You might like to join the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support Group where you will find good information and a group of people who would be happy to view a video of what your eye is doing and give their opinion.  All best to you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for all this information!  You helped ease my mind.. but yes, I will definitely make an appointment with my doctor to figure out what is going on.  It's driving me nuts already..lol.  Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi there. It doesn't sound like hemifacial spasm.

My eye never became dry but maybe others have. It did start around right eye then moved to right side of face as well. Tiredness and stress worsened but never dry. Hopefully it will rectify its self.

• Posted

Well, I'm not really sure if it's a dry feeling or irritated?  Just something makes me feel like I have to close my eye.  It;s just so wierd... My eye  twitches several times, and then it is forced shut, but only halfway shut, and my eyebrow gets raised the same time.  Anyway.. thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.