NEED comments/opinions. Feeling so down.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 3 weeks ago. Uncomplicated. Given a 5-day course of antibiotics. A week later the pain/pressure returned. I worried about having an absess or perforation so went back to the ER. The first area had healed, but a new area had popped up. Given a 7 day course of antibiotics and sent home, but on day 5, I went to the ER again because the pain/pressure was again evident (and once again I was worried that I had an absess or perforation). The CT scan showed that the first two areas had healed, but that there was now a small new area. This time they kept me in the hospital and gave me a few days of IV antibiotics. I was discharged yesterday with an 11 day course of a new antibiotic, which I'm afraid to take because of the extreme side effects. I'm so discouraged and so down-hearted. I don't feel myself, feel weak and am treating myself like a sick person. I'm 72 years old. Still don't have an appetite - feel so blah - depressed, actually. I'm fearful every time I feel any pressure or pain. (shouldn't that have resolved after all of these antibiotics?)

I'm especially interested in hearing which antibiotics all of you have taken? Is elective surgery a good option? (they're suggesting that, too). How horrible would that be? I had one bout of diverticulitis in 2016 and two in 2017, but this is the first time since. The other times it cleared up with just one round of antibiotics.

I really hope to get feed-back. I love reading the comments on this site and find it more helpful than what the Doctors have to say.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hello. I feel your pain! I took augmentin and cefdinir and really don't think either did much of anything. Diagnosed around 2011 with a few mild episodes over the years. May 1, I got Covid; can't prove it had anything to do with this but suddenly had the worst pain of my life on my left side and went straight to the ER. Cat scan showed some diverticulitis and "something else of concern." Uh oh. Went to gastroenterologist who looked at the report and said there is very little chance it's anything other than diverticulitis. I've had two colonoscopies over the years. But still, the radiologist in the hospital said a word I didn't want to hear. Comforting right? Awaiting colonoscopy which seems to be another tortuous process, in spite of the fact they said they should probably expedite it. I still have some pain day to day, and freak out over every little twinge, with the extra burden of thinking I must have colon cancer! Then I realize I probably have felt these sensations for years but paid them no mind; this stuff gets in your head. I wish you luck and hope they get a handle on it.

• Edited

I'm guessing from your wording you are USA based. I am UK based where they do things differently. I was diagnosed 23 years ago at the age of 49. Since then I've had several bouts, each one slightly worse, 2 colonoscopies, and 2 MRI. Medication and dietary changes are the prime treatment here. I've always taken the medication prescribed - sometimes it's taken 3 courses, and yes, you do feel rubbish for at least a month with the side effects. And the niggling pains can linger for longer. The last bout I had it took almost a year for the pains to go.

Surgery is always the very last resort. For some it is very effective and absolutely essential, but the two people I know who had it both had complications, blockages and needed further surgery. Elective surgery means money for the medical personnel in the US. It's your decision though - don't forget the pain and recovery time after surgery.

I can only inform you of what has worked for me. I was immediately advised to start taking a form of psyllium husk. I got it on prescription and have taken it daily ever since. It is taken in water, chugged down, softens and bulks the stools and makes passing easier and less of a strain. In the UK I get Fybogel but I don't know your brand names. The other thing which helped my pain was Aloe Vera, a plant used in the Canary Islands as a natural antibiotic when taken internally. I get the capsules online (it tastes foul otherwise), and within a week my pain had eased and now I very rarely get a twinge. I also watch my diet and I think my last attack was 5 or 6 years ago now.

I now follow a diet high in fibre rich vegetables - lots of vegetable salads (not mac 'n cheese - I couldn't believe it's a salad in the USA), home made soups, and 2/3 plate vegetables with my main meals. This is the bible I follow during a flare up, copied from the pamphlet given to me by my hospital.

To prevent further bowel irritation during a flare-up of symptoms, a bland, low-fibre diet may be most suitable. This should only be short-term and you should gradually re-introduce normal, high-fibre foods into your diet once your symptoms have eased. It can be helpful to introduce one food at a time so that you can see which foods make your symptoms worse.

High-fibre foods to avoid during flare-ups include:

•Fruit and vegetable skins.

•Nuts and seeds.

•Wholegrain products (eg wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta, brown rice, wholegrain cereals and oats).

•Beans, lentils and legumes.

•Raw vegetables or raw/dried fruits such as apricots, raisins, dates, figs and berries.

Low-fibre foods to include:

•White grains such as bread, pasta, rice and noodles.

•Plain cakes/crackers.

•Potatoes with skins removed.

•Milk and dairy products such as cheese and yoghurts.

•Soft, ground/tender meats and fish (avoid gristly meats/bones).

•Eggs.

•Tofu.

•Well-cooked/canned fruit and vegetables with seeds and skins removed.

•Low-fibre cereals such as Rice Krispies® and corn flakes.

•Fats and oils - for example, olive oil, rapeseed oil, and butter.

If symptoms are severe, your doctor may also advise a clear liquid diet for about two days to allow the colon to rest. Suitable clear liquids include:

•Water.

•Clear juices without pulp, such as apple, cranberry or grape juice.

•Broths and clear soups.

•Herbal teas, tea and coffee without milk.

•Ice lollies.

•Jelly.

• Posted

@mjf2910 Would you please say more about the gradual transition to a higher-fibre diet and how you did that successfully? I haven't been able to get any specific guidance. I had an episode of severe diverticulitis start two and a half weeks ago. I was on antibiotics for two weeks, a mostly clear fluid diet for a couple of days, and a low residue diet for two weeks. Yesterday I started "transitioning," adding oatmeal, 1 serving of psyllium supplements, and some cooked veggies. Today I feel kind of uncomfortable and tired again, and I'm afraid I wasn't gradual enough. Or maybe that's how it goes during the transition? So I haven't eaten much today, and am not sure whether to partially back up, but keep taking the psyllium, or go back to clear fluids or low residue again.

Thanks!

• Posted

Thank you for that information. I have copied it off. There is so much contradictory stuff on the internet I thought it would be an idea to find out the experience of others. Judging by the accounts of others, I am lucky I am not worse off! My scan said 'Moderate Chronic Sigmoid Diverticular Disease' which I only got to find out about by ringing my Doctor but was just told what it said and given no advice at all! So I have been educating myself here and elsewhere. I know we are all different but one does get a general consensus of what at least does no harm!

However I have had several consecutive attacks ...getting temporarily better and being over confident and going down again...and as you have said earlier it is very depressing. Tummy ache every evening and sometimes a bit during the day. No way can one have lunch with friends!

I think later on you say about taking Kefir which I have just discovered and it certainly feels like it is doing good. Reading everyone's submissions here is very useful in making me and others aware of the necessity to take it seriously! So thanks to you and all contributors!

• Posted

I am 65 and have gone through the same background of problems. Take the elective surgery ASAP

I did not .. my problem intensified .. I ended up in the emergency room .. having dead parts of my intestines removed and a colostomy installed

Now after 6 months, they were able to reverse the colostomy, but If, I had done the elective surgery, I would have avoided nearly dying having waited too long

Did manage to live through a very difficult year in Kansas

• Edited

I had my first episode middle of August. Ive developed horrific anxiety, no appetite, losing weight pretty quickly, no interest in anything. Among other things, convinced myself I have colon cancer that they diagnosed as diverticulitis.

There is research out of UCLA showing that many of us develop a type of irritable bowel after diverticulitis (despite the CT showing no more diverticulitis) and 20% of us develop depression and anxiety problems after the diagnosis. They said it is likely due to the gut/brain connection. Either way, Ive turned into a mess and I was a previously healthy 52 year old!

• Posted

I hope things have settled down for you since you last posted. I am in the middle of a flare-up now, since my diagnosis in 2019, I've had three flare-ups requiring antibiotics (Metronidazole and Co-amoxiclav). This current flare-up was very painful for 24 hours with co-codomol not working to eliminate the pain as effectively as in past. I haven't taken antibiotics, since previous advice from Dr was to see if it would resolve. But lack of clarity on whether I'm doing the right thing is worrying.

The decision on whether to opt for surgery is also stressful. The way attacks seem to happen even when everything felt to be on track diet-wise makes me wonder if surgery is a better option. It isn't surprising to me at all that studies have linked this diagnosis to anxiety and depression. This condition can be very worrying- I also worried about colon cancer, but a CT scan showed all was ok. I am 56 and this condition has had a huge impact on my health and well-being for the past 15 months. Saw two gastrologists- one basically advocated for elective surgery, one discouraged it. I'm unsure what to do except try for a third opinion.

• Posted

Hi, i was diagnosed with diverticular disease this time last year. i suffered with diverticulitis flare ups every 6 weeks, the pain can be extreme but my main issue was the lack of control over my bowel movements. nobody seems to offer any form of help other than increase fibre, then stop eating fibre when you have a flare up, very confusing! anyway in answer to your question I've been prescribed co-amoxiclav. which does just about work but because my flare ups are so frequent the doctors are now very reluctant to give me anti biotics. I have tried so many things and done so much research to help. i finally came across Kefir femented milk. I have had 1 flare up in 6 months which was much milder than usual, recovered a lot faster and i have so much more control over my bowel movements. i can honestly say it has changed my life. i drink a glass a day it did take a few weeks before i started to realise its helping. please try it. i know how awful diverticulitis can be. please dont ignore that im not a medical professional. nobody helped

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.