Need help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys. I'm new to this and have just joined after searching the internet for help.

I got diganosed at the age of 14 (I am now 23) but started having horrible periods two years ago, after losing 6 stone in weight. Being on more times than I am off. One lasting 6 months! I have been given mef acid tablets to stop the bleeding but as soon as I finish taking them my period starts again. I came off birth control last January (after being advice too by the nurse) to let my body/horomones go back to normal and I am now having two periods a months which isn't ideal but it is better than having month long periods. My main reason behind this is to ask how women cope with the extra hair growth as since coming off birth control my hair on my chin, lip, eyebrow, breast, stomach etc is growing quickly and thicker and is really getting me down I feel so unwomanly and feel i can't wear my hair up, i pluck daily and wax & use hair removal cream to keep on top of it but its really just getting me down and would love to hear your tips and tricks and to just talk to other women who suffer so I know i'm not alone!  

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having problems with it. I've had a few periods like that where it's lasted for ages and then I've had some where it's light and don't have them again for months. That Mef acid you're talking about is more likely to cause your period to last longer as it slows the bleeding it doesn't stop it. They gave me it for when I had an extremely heavy flow to help with that.

As for the hair I'm actually looking for tips too, I've looked up laser treatment and everything. I know there's a cream that the doctor can give you to stop any further hair growing if that helps, unfortunately it doesn't stop the hair you already have growing. I have to ask how did you manage to lose 6 stone I have to lose the same amount yet can't seem to budge it, congrats on that. Laura x

• Posted

I didn't know that about mef acid thank you for the tip.

I have looked up laser treatment too but is so expensive! Will ask doctors about the cream when I next have an appointment, as I am getting more and more at moment so may help.

Thank you i use the app called myfitnesspal to record calories i eat and burn and reduced my calorie count to 1500 a day, but didnt cut anything out so along as stayed under that could eat what i wanted. I took up walking and using the wii fit daily. I have put on stone & half over winter but hoping to budge it again. Hope this helps. Katrina xx

• Posted

I've been very lucky in some respects on the period front......haven't had one for nearly a year!

Do to with the hair. Well I was shaving my chin and top lip everyday until last year when I was put on one of the many pills specifically for testosterone and now I'm down to every other day sometimes three days. It really is a pain to live with but it's also great when others are struggling too cos then you don't feel alone. I've just succumbed to the fact I'm gonna have to shave! Luckily my husband understands fully so I'm not embarrassed about it.....but I wouldn't trust anyone.

Also, I too must congratulate you on your weight loss......well done. It's unfortunately something we all seem to have to deal with with varying degrees of success....or not!

• Posted

You are so lucky

Yeah I have to wax every week and I'm lucky with my other half understand he usually does it for me! But then I pluck every day it's such a pain as I never feel comfortable I miss being able to style my hair! Its seems every pill I go on seems to react negative with me but am loving that I have found other women who understand!

Thank you it was so hard to lose but feel much better for apart from I have gone from no symptoms of pcos to loads because of it xx

• Posted

Yer and they say that if you lose weight, which most of us struggle with, I've got 3 stone to lose, that apparently your symptoms get better......what do they know?!
    • Posted

Yeah mine got hundred times worse! I do wonder sometimes how they get there doctor titles! X
    • Posted

Hi Katrina,

Sorry to hear about what you're going through. I suffer from the excessive hair element too and totally understand how down it can make you feel.

I've been getting laser hair treatments on my face only as I can cover up the rest on my breasts, stomach (normally shave those areas), neck and chest (normally pluck as I only get a few on those areas).

I know laser sounds expensive but it's totally worth it! I go to a beauty salon that have a 40% discount so it would be worth you looking into salons that have them at a discounted price. I know those discount websites like wowcher or groupon sometimes have offers.

I've been having laser for a few years now - every month or so and I'm happy to say that it is finally almost gone. Although since we're pcos sufferers we will need to have continuous treatment (only 2-3 times a year) once we have seen significant changes via the reduction of hair growth. But I can honestly say, it's definitely worth it and it has brought my confidence back.

If you live in London I'd be more than happy to send the details of the beauty salon I go to.

J x

• Posted

Laser hair removal must be continuous as you explained because I tried it 6 months on my chin but didn't work and became worse… I’m now trying to balance my hormones with an herbal supplement and it works reducing the facial hair too exclaim
    • Posted

It is so horrible isnt it.

I shave my stomach but always wax my face but just lately has got so bad.

I will look around my local salons, as i live in Norfolk and have never thought to go on wowcher but will keep an eye out I have always been worried about it as don't know anyone who had it done.

Thank you for your help xx

• Posted

what herbal supplements are you taking as I have given up on medication as nothing is working and react badly to them all x
    • Posted

I do t believe that they get better I never used to have much hair growth and when I lost 3 stone I found that I was getting more hair and had to shave it more often rolleyes
  • Posted

Don't worry your not alone I wake up feeling like that everyday always looking in the mirror at the unwanted hair rolleyes some days I struggle more than others but I just have to get on with it but I will say that talkin to other people with pcos does make a big difference because it makes you feel that your not alone smile
    • Posted

Congratulations on your weightloss, I got told it would get better with losing weight but same as you it got worse. Joining this forum has really helped! I just think they are so obvious and everyone stares, when in reality they probably don't notice it. It does really get me down especially in the warm weather as I just want to be able to tie my hair up :-(
    • Posted

Thank you but the doctor said I need to lose another 2 stone to be 11st sad and I always feel people can see my hair too I get it on the back of my neck quite bad because I have dark hair sad this forum is helping me too I just know I'm not alone smile
    • Posted

I have put a stone and half on over winter and need to get to 10stone so need to lose a far bit more again now! I have dark hair to and mine is all round the front of my neck and chin. I hate it!!
    • Posted

Iv put on 4 pound so it's not too bad but still gotta lose 2 stone sad I hate the hair too it just makes you paranoid and embarrassed sad my partner always says it's only hair I dont love you any less but I'm still embarrassed
    • Posted

It's hard as I put the weight back on so easily :-( and yeah it is embrassing I just want it gone so I don't have to worry :-( and my other half is the same but it just makes you feel unwomanly. Some of my friends suffer from it but are lucky enough not to have excess hair which made me feel worse as I thought I was the only one who hard, so glad in not alone xx
    • Posted

Me too I wish I didnt have to worry about it either rolleyes it does make you feel like your not a proper woman sad and none of my friends have it an most of them have kids so I kinda feel a bit left out im the only one out my friends that wanted kids aswell makes me feel like I'm a failure sad xx
    • Posted

I feel excatly the same. I have always wanted to be a mummy. Me & partner don't use birth control (haven't been for a year) and currently going under the if it happens it happens x
    • Posted

me tooo since i was a little girl i always wanted to be a mom smile i just wish i would be able to concieve naturally instead of getting help for it i feel like its not me doing it its some medication sad me and my partner have been trying for 3 years now so we are at that point where we are like is it ever gonna happen rolleyes when did you get diagnosed with pcos? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.