Need Help Coping!!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed 18 months ago after suffering prolonged chest infection.  I gave up smoking 15months ago and since then seem to have gone down hill rapidly.  Going shopping is awkward as I cannot carry anything heavy for any distance, gardening, which I love is getting harder, I have a greenhouse and grow veg, in the past I would go out early morning and work in the gsarden until at least lunch time but now one hour is enough.  I am finding very hard adjusting to the limitations, can anyone advised me on coping strategies.  I have two inhalers, Spiriva which I use in the morning and Seretide which I use morning and night, aslso \I have  salbutamol to use as and when (although they said not to use more than 4 times a day). I would be grateful for any advise.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I do sympathise with you.  I am finding everything much harder now.  I am 64 and gave up my light smoking over 20 years ago, but have noticed a real deterioration in my lung power over the past few years.  I have tried both Spiriva and Seretide and neither seemed to help much.  I have been on Fostair twice a day for some while, but that doesn't help much either.  The nurse informed me when I had my last spirometry test that I had the lung capacity of a 90 year old female!!   I am waiting for another appointment to see the consultant, but he couldn't seem to help me last time I saw him.  I have four dogs to walk every day and can just about cope on the level, but as soon as we go on an incline I have to keep stopping to get my breath.  If you would like to chat some more to me, that would be good.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, I am similar age to you (63, 64 in May), I am due a review so not sure what my lung capacity is at the moment, seeing the doctor next Monday.  This awful disease really gets me down at times, I dont feel ready to 'hang up' my boots yet, but it really is a struggle at times. Did you go to pulminary rehab? if so did it help you at all.
  • Posted

Hi christine48811,

I'm sorry you are having trouble coping. I'm not sure what your question is tho...You have COPD...you are going to get winded upon any exertion. Learning how to manage that and learning your limits are what you have to deal with. However it does sound like to me that maybe that particular medicine you are on should be checked bc you quit smoking and so that medicine should really help you. Your Spiriva and a steroid and then an emergency inhaler ....that is a formula that most all of us have been put on at first anyway. That's what I'm on and It keeps me maintained well but trust me, I get out of breath at any exertion. I don't know what % lung function you at either or what stage COPD they said you are in. Do you remember? That matters too. Anyway, I know some people go to COPD REHAB Clinics and they teach you how to exercise your lungs and ways to breath and live with it. You should ask about that. I was going to do the same thing on my next visit with the Dr. Keep me informed and keep talking on here...it helps. Blessings...ladyjack51

• Posted

Hi, been to the docs again today, I have had 3 lots of antibiotics to try and sort an ongoing lung infection. Now I have to send in another sputum sample to see whay other antibiotics might help.  I asked about my levels and this is what the doc gave me   FEV1 1.44 (64.7% predicted; FEV1/FVC 68% she said that usually this would suggested my COPD is mild. I have a persistent hacking cough which I am hoping a new antibiotic will sort.  What do yiou more knowledgeable folk think?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.