Need help does this stool look normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! 28 year old female. Need help with identifying if this stool is normal or if I should see a doctor. My stool has been looking like this for a few days now. I usually have a bowel movement every 2 - 3 days. If I am working out and eating a lot of fiber, I have a BM at least once a day.

History:

Intermittent constipation

Bright Red Blood in stool on and off for approx 9 months. Associated with both strained and non-strained bowel movements. (Usually once a month)

Past three months have had a reoccurring yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis.

Anal itching and pain associated with the Vaginal Bacterial infections. Have never participated in anal intercourse.

Diet:

Consist mainly of chicken, veggies, cottage cheese, and fruit.

Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You have my extreme sympathy !

I had some similar struggles for approx 6 years but i am a lot older ( 60 yr old male). Like you i followed a high fibre sensible diet and continued to have the issues you have. What helped me was a low fodmap diet in particular on dietician advice i tried lactose free milk.

For me converting to lactose free milk was a game changer. I also eliminated other lactose containing foods like yoghurt ice cream and cheese.

I strongly urge you to try this.

Secondly, for 5 weeks , once a week i saw a reflexologist. To my surprise this seemed to stimulate bowel function and get things moving better. Hard to believe but true

Good luck !

• Posted

The red stool is likely due to an anal fissure that has not healed properly. I had the same issue and initially on doctors advice used a stool softener eg. movicol to give the fissure a chance to heal. in addition you can apply creams to the area eg. protocedyl or anusol. At the same time make the dietary changes i recommended (remove lactose containing dairy) and see how you go.

If that does not work see a doctor.

Good luck

Rod

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I was thinking fissures as well, but was concerned on why I keep on having the problem. I already have basically cut out diary from my diet (minus cottage cheese) because diary gives me really bad acne. But this past week I celebrated my birthday with some heavy cheeseeeee, so that would make sense maybe why I am seeing blood. I never thought about correlating the two.

• Posted

Hi Waters, So it appears you are constipated, your stool should be more formed, not like large pellets...you need to stay hydrated, water is best(but fruit, juice, popsycles & etc.. all help) and dairy can be constipating, so you should not do too much of that but, you do need calcium and you can get that from other foods or supplements...if you can add fiber to your diet, using fruit, veggies(with skin, cleaned well) nuts, seeds, whole grains & etc...or even sources like Metamucil etc...fiber bulks up the poo and sucks water into it to keep it from being hard...if those things dont help, a stool softener can really help....the bright red blood(tells you it is from locally in the sphincter area) is either an anal fissure or you can have internal/external haemorrhoids, straining is not good for sure & yes, the Anusol is great, it has anaesthetic and helps shrink and heal minor tears & etc....I am glad you didnt just suffer in silence, never be embarrassed to ask about health issues...this can be fixed easily & once it is, you will be surprised at how much better you feel!!! Good Luck & BEST WISHES💒🎶🐾🌈🍀☮♾

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.