Need help on laxatives

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I have been having problems with my bowel was so constipated couldn't go naturally had severe pain to the right of my belly button they tested my blood for appendicitis it wasn't that so they sent me home went to the doctors yesterday and he just gave me another laxative I am now on 6 laxatives a day and am so tired and have mucus In my stools that I am having I am on lactulose 15 ml morning and night fybrogel 1 sachet in the morning and night and movicol 1 sachet morning and night am getting a bit fed up now and just feel groggy any help will be nice as I am worried it might be something serious and they are missing it 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liane,

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering so much, it's such a miserable condition and sadly one the doctors know very little about.

Have they done any other tests on you? I had 2 marker transit tests, numerous sigmoidoscopies, 2 proctograms and a muscle test and still they could not diagnose me. I had been suffering from chronic constipation for almost 3 years and all the doctors did was prescribe more and more laxatives.

The problem with that is you then end up with a dependency which only makes it worse. Have they tested you for allergies?

I still to this day don't know what my problem is however mine is now managed completely by diet. I had some biofeedback training, it helped a little but it took time and my nurse was crap so I trained myself with the tips she gave me and others I found on my own. I went to see a dietician and have been fine ever since. I still get bad days but my body is able to right itself now. It's so much better.

I would go to see a dietician and see what they suggest. I would push for further tests to make sure it is nothing more sinister, I also found colonics very helpful so maybe book a couple of those. They tone the muscles of the bowel to help get a rhythm again.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Trust me I have been where you are and I now manage my condition very successfully. I have my life back and you will too :-)

• Posted

Thanks Hun I did wander if it could be ibs and try to do a ibs diet and see if it changes anything but just worried will be back at the gps in two weeks so hoping it will be sorted glad you are better than you were xxx
    • Posted

A low fodmap diet would be great for you that's what I do and it has helped wonders. Just remember it can take up to 2-3 months to make a difference so be patient :-) good luck xx
    • Posted

Hi Becki, 

What was the biofeedback training you did and how did it help? I am also suffering with chronic constipation - for over a year now and I'm on laxatives daily (movicol) and I'm getting so down with it all. I tried FODMAP and it did nothing for me. 

One current thing I'm investigating is thyroid disorders. I've just been diagnosed as hypothyroid and I've started on treatment but it takes a while to get your dosage right, and I've had no relief from the constipation yet. Its a common complaint for people with thyroid problems though, so I wanted to suggest it in case you hadn't had the various blood tests

If it's not my thyroid I really don't know what I will try next. Nothing at all seems to help. It's miserable. 

• Posted

Hi,

In my experience biofeedback was useless, I didn't like the nurse and thought she was patronising and lazy. I read about the treatment and it was meant to include electrodes and computers but I didn't get any of that. I got a balloon and her hands on my muscles and she told me when i was doing it wrong which was all the time. I got so frustrated it would have been so much better to see it myself but I don't think she did the treatment properly. I took away the tips she gave me and found some videos on YouTube and tried to self help instead. I got more from that. I know when I am straining and recognise the urge's now.

The diet has worked wonders for me but you do have to do it for a few months to see a difference. You need to include enough fibre and make sure you are drinking plenty of water too.

I had the test's done on my thyroid and it came back normal but it could be the answer for you, stick with the treatment and diet and try to relax. The more stressed you are the worse it gets sadly. I also had some colonics and they worked wonders for me.

Good luck with your journey, mine took 3 years but I am managing my symptoms now and you will too never give up searching for your cure :-)

• Posted

Hi liane,

Laxatives I my opinion don't work. At least on me they didn't. I have found that stool softeners work wonders. Try dulcoease so for a short term fix until you sort out your diet. Instead of stimulating your bowl and making you go it draws water into your bowl and makes your stool soft/passable allowing you to go naturally. Amazing stuff in my opinion. But you need to see a good dietitian asap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.