Need help with deodorant for HS!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I need help with what type of deodorant everyone is using! I've had HS for about 3-4 years now. Worst places are my armpit. I was finally advised by a doctor to quit using antiperspirants and to use regular deodorant. Simple, right? Wrong. It's extremely difficult to find regular ole deodorant and the kind I do find, there's really no smell to them. Which is a problem for me. I work in a veterinary hospital where I'm running around non stop for a good 10-12 hours a day and using regular deodorant makes it smell like I'm not wearing anything at all! Gross! Someone PLEASE help!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, sorry about your problen and it is one most of us face. Most deodorants that have fragrance can irritate us badly. I can recommend using a natural crystal deodorant. You can find it at a lot of places, even a wallmart.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I suffer from the same-- HS under the arms. But for longer. The best deodorant I've found is:

crystal essence mineral deodorant body spray

(Just copy/paste the above line in a Google search and you will find it. It comes in 3 scents: Chamomile & Green Tea, Lavender & White Tea, and Pomegranate. They all work, may favorite is the chamomile one)

I like it because:

1. It has nice scents.

2. It's a non aerosol spray, so you don't have to roll or smear it on.

3. It's non-alcohol based, so it's doesn't sting (very nice if you have open sores).

4. (most important) it works!

At least, it works for me. Hope it does for you too. You can find them at Whole Foods in the US. Or just order it online. Best of luck!

• Posted

I can't wear any deodorant due to hs either. I tried a few of the natural deodorants but I didn't feel they really helped much and some made things worse. My routine... I allow extra time to actually soak in an Epsom salt bath every morning and before I lay back to soak I rub Dr. bronner's lavender soap thoroughly into my armpits and soak for a bit. After my bath I apply witch hazel with a cotton ball. If I'm going to be super active I pat some baking soda into my underarms. I also keep a plastic baggie with cotton balls soaked in witch hazel in my purse to use throughout the day. I have heard of people taking chlorophyll and parsley supplements to reduce odor but I haven't tried them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.