Need reassurance please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Feeling very hopeless right now. Been on celexa for 20 years and was doing great. I've had to increase my dose because my anxiety was out of control. I've taken celexa and never had anxiety like I do now. My doctor increased my dose to 30mg amd now 40mg. I've been on 40mg for 6 weeks. How long do I give the increase?

Do you think it can still work after so many years?

Can it take very long because anxiety was is so bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Feeling so lost at the moment

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I too have taken citalopram for many years. A couple of times I've had to change my dose. About 10 days ago I had to raise my dose from 10 mg to 15. For some reason the 10 just wasn't quite cutting it I went to 15 and then, of course all the side effects came back. then I did something stupid and dropped it back to 10 then I was getting withdrawals. Then I went back to 15 again. I feel yuck. Heightened anxiety, not sleeping, great, nauseous, and woozy. I just don't remember any other time when I needed to raise my dose a little bit, having so many side effects. But I have read that each time you go on it, or change the dose, that it is harder and harder and takes longer for things to level out again. Have you spoken to your doctor? Sometimes they can add in another drug instead of upping the dose of the citalopram. My doctor suggested that we could add buspirone just a small dose. but I'm going to wait this out of course because I already have anxiety. I get very anxious about any changes in my medication. It's all such a catch 22. I wish they knew more about these drugs and were able to make this easier on us. The drugs really do work once they get leveled out. but it sure is hell trying to get there. Almost barbaric lol.

• Posted

also, did your doctor give you any thing like Xanax or Klonopin? For days that your anxiety is just sky high? My doctor has always given me a prescription for Klonopin. I never take it. But just knowing that I have it in my cupboard in case I do need, it is very comforting. mine usually expire so I just bring my bottle back to the doctor and she gives me a new prescription lol again I'm just very afraid to take anything else.

• Posted

my doctor has given me ativan.

unfortunately, I've been having to use it. people just keep telling me to give it 8-12 weeks. I feel like im starting from the beginning. Anxiety is getting abit better but still definitely there and I'm always crying cause I feel like this is me now forever

• Posted

my doctor said we can add buspar, increase celexa or change meds to paxil.

In Canada we can go up to 60mg celexa

• Posted

melissa and Juls,

I really needed to read your responses this morning. Makes me want to cry, knowing that I am not alone I woke again with anxiety and last night before I went to bed had a panic attack. As I said before I went from 10 which I've been on for quite some time. but over the last several months my anxiety has gotten worse. I did go to 12.5 for a week before I went on 15 mg this is day 11 on 15 mg. The last three days seem to be worse with anxiety racing, heart, wooziness, dizzy , no real appetite for quite some time now. I debate to on whether I should just go straight to 20 as it's supposed to be the therapeutic dose for most. I just can't stand the anxiety and panic attacks/the wooziness feeling is just terrible too. Like you both I am just trying to hang in there and see how it goes for a few more weeks. I'm going to hang onto that. Hope that citalopram will work for me as it has over the past 20 years. I wouldn't wish this on anybody either but I'm so happy I can come on this forum and read your stories as well. Makes me think that this is normal and we are all going to be OK.

• Posted

I've been on citalopram for years going from 20mg to 25mg, then just recently I started having panic attacks, which I think its maybe been triggered by stress and peri menopause. I've now increased my dose to 30mg but done it slowly by taking 2.5mg for a couple of weeks, which gave me really horrible side effects, I've now started taking the full extra 5mg. I was like you, thinking, because I've been on it for years has it stopped working or will it continue to help. My doc said that it will keep working, it's just sometimes you need to change the dosage. I'm now only done 1 week on the full 30mg, sometimes I feel ok and then it can change, Im just hoping the tablets are starting to work. I think your right, it depends on how bad your anxiety is, the length of time to start feeling better, mines started in December and I'm just feeling slightly better. It's such a slow recovery, but this forum has really helped me, I've had moments where I think I'm going mad!! 😣 We will all get there, I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy but maybe it will make us stronger. 😊

• Posted

melissa and Juls,

I really needed to read your responses this morning. Makes me want to cry, knowing that I am not alone I woke again with anxiety and last night before I went to bed had a panic attack. As I said before I went from 10 which I've been on for quite some time. but over the last several months my anxiety has gotten worse. I did go to 12.5 for a week before I went on 15 mg this is day 11 on 15 mg. The last three days seem to be worse with anxiety racing, heart, wooziness, dizzy , no real appetite for quite some time now. I debate to on whether I should just go straight to 20 as it's supposed to be the therapeutic dose for most. I just can't stand the anxiety and panic attacks/the wooziness feeling is just terrible too. Like you both I am just trying to hang in there and see how it goes for a few more weeks. I'm going to hang onto that. Hope that citalopram will work for me as it has over the past 20 years. I wouldn't wish this on anybody either but I'm so happy I can come on this forum and read your stories as well. Makes me think that this is normal and we are all going to be OK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.