Need to have a leaky valve on my leg repaired, but have RSD.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had RSD on my left foot for almost 10 years and is in remission.  I need to  have a leaky leg valve repaired but do not know if this would trigger a relapse of the RSD.   Has anyone has had any surgery that triggered a relapse?

My Doctor is worried about this and so am I.  Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alicia 35334!

Wow, remission, that's awesome! May I ask if you had some kind of treatment that put you in remission?

I have had CRPS for 6+ yrs and have tried all kinds of procedures, injections, medications, etc., the list goes on and on. I'm sure you have done the same song and dance as all of us with this debilitating, horrible, life stealing disease have!

As far as your question, I had a lumbar surgery after CRPS and it caused it to spread. I do not know about being in remission and having a surgery. I have done lots of research and do know that any trauma, big or small, can cause a spread. If the surgery is not life treating, I'd have to think long and hard and weigh the pros and cons before consenting to a surgery. I would hate for you, or anyone, to come out of remission from this horrible disease for any reason. I hope you can find the answer that is right for you and that you continue to be in remission the rest of your life.

God bless,

Browneyes58

• Posted

Hello, browneyes58!

Thank you for your input.  I have had CRPS since 2003 after I twisted my ankle.  Like you, I did shots, medications, therapies and all things available.  I do not know why I was lucky enough to go into remission, but I did not let it stop me, I would go to work in horrible pain and use a wheelchair at first then a walker when the pain was more tolerable.  Doctors would tell me that they did not know how I was so brave to do all this in pain...I guess when you need to, you just forge through.  I am not sure if this helped me, but that is the only thing I did after all the hydrotherapies, pain blockers, medications.

I am sorry you are still in pain.  What type of lumbar surgery did you have?  I have had lumbar blocks because of herniated disks and it has not made me flare up.

My Doctor is doing his own research, too, but I thought I would ask patients for input.

Hope you get to remission soon.  I will pray you do.

Thank you!

Alicia35334

• Posted

alicia35334,

It's so good to hear of someone going into remission... Praise God you did!

I have heard of some regaining mobility after countless hours of therapy, but they still had the debilitating pain. I pray you never come out of remission.

I have had so many lumbar surgeries I've lost count, and my neck is fused from C2-C7. Mine were degenerate disc disease., probably heritary. I actually got CRPS from a lumbar fusion revision in 2012. I had a car accident that broke a fusion I had done in 2005. Di, I've had L4-S1 fused 2 times, hardware removal, and after CRPS I had L2-L4 surgery to keep me from being paralyzed. The disc had ruptured and herniated to the back instead of the side as they usually do. The disc were pushing on my spinal cord and had it completely pinched off at L2. My surgeon couldn't understand how I could still be walking. He told my husband that I should have been paralyzed. But praise God, I can still pudder around a little with a cane, some days a walker and when I'm out and about, very rarely, I use a scooter chair.

My CRPS started iny I tire left leg, starting at my butt cheek, down my leg and I to my foot a d toes. It has since spread to my right leg and foot, my right arm and my face. It's a vicious disease that nobody deserves!

I pray you stay in remission and that you can find the answer that is right for you, whether to have the surgery or not.

God bless you!

Browneyes58

• Posted

Thank you so much!

I am so sorry you have had to go through so many surgeries.  I had herniated disks L2, 3 and 4.  The doctors have given me pain blockers for the lower back.  About three or four of them did not work at all.  I had two more about a year ago back to back and that seems to have work some.

Prayers go to you with wishes that you find some relief.  I, too, use scooter or walker when I need to walk long stretches or my foot will swell and become really painful.

God bless you, too!

Alicia

• Posted

I hate to say it, but my patients with CRPS that had any kind of big stressor like a surgery always got worse. But, if you need the surgery you really have no choice. The big thing you have going for you is that you know how to get into remission. You did it once, you can do it again. Go into your surgery with that positive attitude and maybe your CRPS won't get kicked up too badly.  Hoping for the best for you.

Lynn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.