Nerve Blockers

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, has any one had nerve blockers injections, one type i had was into the trigeminal nerve, second was facet injections.  They were very painful for me. The trigeinal injection has left my face quite red and swollen on the injection side and I dont feel and change or pain relief.  I do feel that I have pain in my face from the injection.  has anyone else had this type of treatment and what did you experience.  have to go back for more but I dont want to if I dont get results just more pain.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cindy sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience. I have not had this with my Trigeminal Nerve but i have had facet injections in my back and yes they were very painfull. Where did you have yours done and how long ago, who was your Consultant.

Are you not getting any relief from medication. Have you tried Lamotridgene.

Is it TN or SUNA that you have been diagnosed with.

Look forward to hearing from you and hoping you have a painfree night

• Posted

Hi, 

I had the trigeminal nerve block (steroid nerve block) on 5/5/2016. I was put under anesthesia so it didn't hurt at all. Upon awaken from surgery, I had very minimal pain (level 1 out of 10) from the anesthetic agent, which was injected prior to the steroid, for about 2 to 4 hrs. The steroid did kick in until 4 days later, which gave me great pain relief. Unfortunately it didn't last...I think I only had 3 days worth of relief. Then on 5/16/2016 I had a nerve block for my neck. This was done by a different doctor. He did not put me under, but I was very much sedated. I felt a little pinch when he injected the needle ( I believe in 3 different areas of my neck). It was not painful at all. Both experiences did give me pain relief, but it was for short periods of time. I am currently on neurotin 300mg 2xday, Oxymorphone IR 10MG for break thru pain (maximum 2xday) and Nortriptyline 10mg at bedtime. So far, this works well. I still have 24/7 pain, but it is managable at about level 2 to 6. It is very manageable during the daytime, but the pain seems to get worse starting at 5pm until I go to sleep. I am going back to my pain management doctor next week. I am going to ask for increase in the med or maybe try another trigeminal nerve block and see what happens. Good luck to all of you and wishing all of us for pain free days.

• Posted

Where did you have your nerve blocks done and who was the Dr.   Are you still coping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.