nerve pain and capsaicin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there.

I have had MS for 12yrs and since 2007 when I have been unable to transfer I have had such nerve/neuro pain. Its like my legs and bottom have been burning up. I take the full 100mg dose of Baclofen. Tried Gabapentin, but was like a zombie, it was awful. So the doctor suggested Pregabalin, but I was up to 500mg of the max of 600mg dosage and the pain seemed to be gettting worse.

I trailed through forums about nerve pain and found a few folk were suggesting chilli as an option. Have been using chilli muscle rub for the back of my legs and roll on capsaicin for the front of them. As for the bottom, buy chilli patches from Singapore and it works a treat, as does the chilli rub and capsaicin.

Now I learn I might be able to get capsaicin on prescription. That would be ideal. At present I pay £60pw for two massage treatmenrs to relieve the pain. I get 6 one hour sessions of physio every 18mths, its ridiculous.

Any comments would be appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Interested to see your post. Its from a year ago. I have some osteoarthritis in knees. I am trying capsaicin for pain as Ibruprofen & paracetamol don't have any effect. Saw good reports of capsaicin on artritis research uk site. I have been trying capsaicin 0.025 strength for a couple of weeks. At first it seemed to help but now the pain is back. Wondering if I should carry on perhaps in the next strength. If pain returns after a short initial period does this mean that its not going to work. Can't seem to get any advice on this. Thanks
    • Posted

Hello Jill,

Have you tried TENS for your pain? In my experience, it'll either work, or it won't. That's very scientific, isn't it?

I am currently trialing Chilli powder, which I encapsulate myself.

Not for pain, but for spasticity.

It certainly gets the endorphins flowing, I'll report back on this.

• Posted

Hello Jem

Strange - the capsaicin seems to be kicking in again today!! We are all so individual - some pain relief works for some & not for others. A friend of mine with a similar knee problem finds Iprufofen very helpful, it doesn't work at all for me. I am going to try a stronger strength in the capsaicin cream very cautiously ! I haven't tried TENS but I will bear that in mind. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the chilli powder. All the best

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Churg Strauss syndrome about a month ago. I had the same kind of numbness and pain on both feet. Currently doctor prescribed Prednisone 45mg, Daneuron Vitamin B1, B6,B12, Pregabalin 150mg.

However, the numbness and pain don't seems to go away for about a month since I started these medication.

What other home remedies can you suggest I should do to speed up the recovery.

Thanks.

Thymery

• Posted

What dosages are you taking of the B vitamins? I take a lot of Vitamins, it's only the fat-soluble ones you need to be wary of poisoning yourself with.

In my experience, oral Capsaicin has zero effect on pain. The topical treatment, I keep meaning to try.

• Posted

I am taking DANEURON vitamin B1,B6, B12 two tablets every morning. I have been taking this for a month and conditions of my numbness and pain in my leg is still the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.