Never had AFIB Until Colonoscopy Cleanse in hospital and dehydration

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I always had cardio echo grams and cardiograms all my life and always good. I do get

palpitations when nervous and am on Xanax and Toprol XL for that for over 30 yrs. I also take a baby aspirin daily for a bit of plaque.

I had a colon episode in Dec last year and went to the ER. They had me in the ER

for three days waiting for a room, by this time I was already dehydrated a bit. Then

I had to do the cleanse which was intense compared to my first colonoscopy. The amount I had to drink was unbelievable. The next morning I had the test done without anesthesia (my choice) and all was well. But right after that I felt dizzy and my heart was racing. The nurses hooked me up to IV fluid and did a cardiogram. Said I had an Afib episode from the cleanse and dehydration. Then a day later they did an echo cardiogram and no sign of it. I also wore a heart monitor for 2 weeks after I got home. No Afib. But the cardiologist said it is not proof enough that I do not have it, and to get a cardiogram if I get palpitations. I get palpitations a few times a week from anxiety. Cannot go each time I get them!

Not sure I should get a second opinion with my test results. Or, wear the heart monitor again as cardiologist suggested every 6 months. Also suggested a CT of the heart to ease my mind.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you. I am 70yr female.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hello Linda

I would try the monitor as the cardiologist recommends. Some medications can deplete certain minerals in the body and I think that magnesium is one of them. It helps muscle function and the heart is a muscle. I take this every other week as I am on digoxin and it depletes my mag. I cannot eat leafy greens but they also contain a lot of magnesium.

But please check with your cardiologist first.

I hope this helps.

Ana 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.