Never known such pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had my 1st hip replacement in October 2015 and really pleased with it.

Consultant told me at initial meeting both hips needed replacing and got appointment to see him next month to discuss 2nd hip replacement.

However in the interim my knee has started giving me trouble and now the leg is starting to bow outwards the pain is indescribable - far worse than the right hip before it was replaced.

Dr arranged for x-Ray which showed the medial compartment appears very narrow causing varus which I think is medical talk for why leg is bowed out.

I'm not sure now where the worst of the pain originates from on left side hip.or knee.

I feel as if my leg is on fire and as if it is in a vice which is getting tighter and tighter just below the knee.

Has anyone else had anything similar happen? I'm still hoping the pain is from hip and 2nd replacement will sort it but I'm not entirely convinced 

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dalmation,

It is good to hear that the THR went well, but discouraging to hear about your knee.

I'm also having significant knee pain although less that what you describe. At first I attributed it to realignment and adjustments going on in all my lower joints plus very tight hamstring and IT band. My physio helped me deal with the connective tissues but recently began to question whether exercises to 'encourage' the knee to realign entirely are dealing with the rest of the problem as my knee 'tires' and gets quite painful with minimum activity. It also develops a fair amount of swelling on the inside of the knee near the medial collateral tendon.

When I rest, ice and elevate it does improve but this does not last long. I am on the verge of going to my GP.

Please let me know what you hear from your physivian. Thanks.

L

• Posted

I did I have been having more knee pain ! I had a right total hip in March so I am at 10 weeks and my knee is hurting more. Everyone says it is from all the movement doing the hip replacement bug I have had two artiscoptic surgery md in that knee do to tears six years apart because surgeon missed a tear and and the limping I was doing is what led to the thr😥
  • Posted

oh dalmatian,

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. ....

I had pain in my knees prior thr surgeries, but no bow outwards. ..

hopefully you can see your surgeon sooner. .

big warm hug

Renee

• Posted

hi Renee sweetie,

nice to see your name

sending you love and light

mic

​x

• Posted

hi mic

yep, still here ....

how are you doing, big guy?

weren't you the one who posted that he could put his pants on while standing???

if so, I am thinking of you every morning. ..finally able to do this 😇

big warm hug

Renee ❤

• Posted

Thanks for all your thoughts. Just got to get through next 2 weeks before I get to see Consultant.

I never thought my bones would give up on me so early - I'm only 54 

• Posted

Kind of sucks doesn't it?

I have to have my other hip done (later this summer) and several vertebrae are problematic. And I didn't do my contact sports!

Oh well ... I feel lucky to able to have this operation and no more bone on bone in one hip!

• Posted

Good morning dalmation , 

just checking in with you - 

maybe you can see your surgeon sooner - to be in such pain for an additional 2 weeks is a long time and not condusive to  proper healing - 

sending you love, light and healing

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Hi Dalmation

greetings.

I'm 15 months post second hip op. all in is general fine dv.

tho'

pre my second op i saw a physio re bad knee pain in as then unoperated leg. she took x rays and immediately said it was hip pain but referred to knee in my head - she said it was easy even for doctors to mix both up, as referred pain is quite confusing and convincing!

she managed to fast track me for hip op 4 weeks later

Good luck

Mic

​Exeter, Devon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.