New AF diagnosis in 30s advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello.

A week ago today I was diagnosed with afib (after a gruelling 15 hours at hospital) I was just sent home with blood thinners and beta-blockers and awaiting a call for a cardioversion. I feel like nobody went through what this actually means and talked about the illness with me yet.

For me being 36 years old I know this is young to have afib and all I can think of is how will this impact my everyday life and can I still do all the things I like to do? The main one will I die young?

I am a naturally anxious person so I’m constantly checking my heart rhythm and when it gets to the late 40s I panic I’m also worried to be alone and I think I’m uneducated with it all at the moment as it’s still so new to me.

Does anyone have any advice?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

i got afib aged 35 - rule 1 - dont panic, just breathe, your not going to drop dead. Its s**t but let the health professionals do there job - you'll come out the other end and thats when you need to do your job. That is looking after your mental health - eat right, cut right down on alcohol and caffine, get plenty of sleep. The number 1 advice id give you is when you get the all clear start exercising - it will be the last thing you want to do but start slowly and build it up - do anything but do it often - walk run swim - just doing it reinforces the thoughts in your mind that you are ok - if you can walk 5k then why do you need to worry about your heart ? Your job is to not let this effect your mental health

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.