New Sciatic Injury and help to manage please

Posted , 2 users are following.

Excruciating ongoing sciatic pain after tweaking lower back at a gym class 5 days ago (I almost went to A&E at one point when trying to get some sleep on the first night). I have all the symptoms = pain in back through glutes, groin and all the way down my leg with tingling toes. sharp shooting pain when I walk just a few steps and now after a few days I have discomfort and pain (less of a shooting pain) at other times. Doctor has prescribed naproxen and codeine but limited affect. I've been doing some gentle stretches and I know it is early days but has anyone had similar experience / know what might help to hopefully aid recovery. Much of the advice is to try and keep active and do as normal but given the level of pain I am worried even walking may cause more damage. Any advice or similar experience much appreciated. Also, has anyone benefited from Chiropractic or Acupuncture?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Really sad for your pain, and also that nobody cared to answer you. Unfortunately I have no magic fix for you, only to tell what helps for me. I developed the same as you one month ago and it has got worse by the day untill I see my GP 2 days ago, who has put me on a strong anti-inflammatory /pain killer which is great compared to before. But it only takes 50% of pain away, but all the same better than nothing. I have researched much as probably you have also, and found that there is little difference between total bed rest and a low active life or exercises, which is shown in some surveys. Personally I find that exercise SEEMs to worsen mine, so I dont do it for now... maybe later. I sleep better on my side with a pillow between my legs (back sleep is impossible for me). Also I try to alternate rest and activity like housework etc... like 20 mins work... 20 mins rest in a recliner chair in good posture, and legs elevated to almost horizontal. Hot shower with an extra 5 mins directed to lower back morning and night. I also rub DeepHeat on all parts that hurt inc lower back. WARNING WARNING WARNING.... wash hands immediately after, or touching tender parts might cause more pain than the sciatic lol. My eyes still sore.

Another thing I find helpful is to trash the flat slippers and shows, and invest in good CUSHION and arch support shoes or add infill. This made a rather good difference. I intend to stick to status quo for another week (10 days total) and then do light activities like slow walking, and build up and get back some of the strength I lost. I also got some hot and cold packs yesterday but untried at the moment. I wish you well and hope both of us get success. Peace and blessings... Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.