New to this group...and I’m trying something new.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had bilateral GA for about 17 years. It started on my elbows and tried cortisone creams without any luck. it moved to my hands about 9 years ago...tried cortisone cream again...and again no luck...once some bumps cleared up new ones appeared. My medical history is of hypothyroidism.

I have noticed that dust and handling paper (filing at work) seems to aggravate it. The one reprieve from GA that I've had is when I eliminated grains, processed sugars, junk food. i didn't stick to this way of eating and the GA came back. Maybe this is coincidental or maybe it's a solution.

My GA has come back with a vengeance. It is on my lower and upper arms and hands I look like I have a quite the case if ringworm. Becoming more frustrated with the GA, I started doing some more research on potential causes. One potential culprit are vaccines....particularly Hep B. I had Hep B vaccine many years ago....~20 years. I had multiple adverse reactions to

the vaccine - hair loss, scalp rash, extreme joint point, discoid plaques on my forearms; all occurring over a one year period. I think it's probably a good chance that the vaccine triggered the GA as well.

Since the cortisone creams and the prescribed creams don't seem to work, I read that aloe vera has helped some. I've been using it for about a week. The bumps seem less red and irritated, and have flattened out somewhat. I am using 99% pure aloe with and without alcohol. I am hopeful. Even if it doesn't go away, it looks a little better and feels better too.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Scar,

I to have had the HEP B shot while in dental school. I had never thought about that! I just assumed it was my sluggish immune system.

I have folliculitis on my scalp as well so its hard and now this GA and I have been to 3 dermatologists

it seems they just dont know,

I know for me it started behind my knees. NOW i am covered....feet, legs, hands,arms, now side and stomach. My back and Breasts area, and face are clear. So strange!

I tried no grains , gluten free, no sugar, then I tried fir a few weeks vegan diet! Honestly, creams,salt baths, ointments, NOTHING works!

May i ask your age? I am 59 and got this around 8 months ago after my husbands cancer diagnosis

It sure helps talking with others about this!

Patti

• Posted

Hi Patti,

So sorry to hear how much you're struggling with this, and to hear about your husband's diagnosis. Wishing you both a speedy recovery. Both my father and daughter-in-law had cancer....both beat it!!!! There are some good books out there for support and cancer fighting recipes. Cancer sucks...you gotta arm/support yourself and husband for the fight. Be sure to take good care of yourself. ❤️

I am 54 years old. This started quite sometime ago for me, but has progressed slowly. Originally my doctor thought this was a stressed induced reaction (before being diagnosed with GA), and there may be some truth to that being that it is an inflammatory response.

When you cut out the grains and gluten, did you cut out potatoes pasta and rice? I basically went "Keto"....minus the pork and high animal fats. You might want to try the FODMAP diet. It's to help determine food sensitivities. Maybe it will help. I am using aloe vera gel and it seems to be helping a little bit...at least mu skin isn't so irritated...AND it's not bad for your skin either. Let me know if it works and I'll keep you updated as well.

It is so good to talk with others about this. No one in my family or group of friends has this.

• Posted

Hmmmmm. I had an immuno globulin shot 41 years ago when my husband contracted Hep A in Mexico. Developed GA about 20 years ago, and psoriasis 2 years ago. Interesting. Thanks for the post. I'll try some pure aloe!

• Posted

I am new here too. I'm sorry for everyone who has to deal with this obnoxious affliction. To answer your question, I believe I was vaccinated for HEP B as a small child. Most people (in the US at least) are vaccinated for it as infants, unless their parents didn't participate in vaccination. I wish there was a common link. Who knows, that could be it...never know

• Posted

hello

i am new as well, ive had ga since my mid 20s after a condirmed biopsy it spread on my hands. Used multiple steroid creams and injections and it cleared for a little while. came back shortly after but havent really been treating it. i had a hep b vaccine for school and now spread to other areas including my inner thighs very badly! i just recently got a biopsy to confirm that itS the same but i believe it is! im glad i saw this about the hep b vaccine, i do not believe this is a coincidence!

all the best

KATHY

• Posted

PS I've tried aloe, cortisone, tea tree, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, steroid cream, every other over the counter & some prescriptions and nothing has ever worked for me. Mine is currently in spontaneous remission after 5 years. It originally was on my stomach in my 20s for several months then disappeared. Then in my early 40s it showed up on my back/side on the right and stayed the entire 5 years in either a hyper aggressive ring form or sometimes disappearing for a week or two with nothing more than a dime or nickel sized red circle, but at least one small circle would always be there. Once a year ago I got 1 circle on my leg for a week, when I had a major flare up on my back/side- that one never came back. I have never figured out how I got it or any way to get rid of it. I've been under a huge amount of stress for 6 years, and recently have had much less stress- It's the ONLY thing I can safely say is different, so I have to see stress as something that either makes it worse or makes it show up in the first place. I've never had any major disease or health condition that I'm aware of. I hope everyone here can find something to help. I'm so nervous mine will come back, as it's only been gone completely for 3 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.