New to this - Methotrexate - Doc has prescribed it for me for PsA - I'm Worried

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi there

Bit of background...

I'm female and 33 years old. Over the past year I two of my fingers and one toe have become swollen, stiff and ache in the morning before I begin my daily dose's of Ibuprofen. I have Psoriasis on my scalp. 

I have been to the GP and they sent me for blood tests. Today I went to the hospital clinic to get my results and the doctor and she confirmed I have Psoriatic Arthritis.

The doctor confirmed that I will be prescribed Methotrexate following more blood tests and an xray which I done today. I should be receiving a letter from the hospital with an appointment date in a few weeks and at that appointment I will be prescribed Methotrexate.

Reading through what others are posting about, my symptoms are not as severe as other peoples. I have no aches and pains anywhere other than the stiffness in two fingers and 1 toe and the joints of these. And also the Psorasis on my scalp.

Is Methotrexate a bit extreme for me? Do you think I am catching this early before the rest of the joints ache so its the right thing to do.

My head is all over the place, I am terrified of the side affects. I am healthy and active, and I am scared I am going to be taking these tablets and ruining my life. I have 2 & 3 year old boys and I want to be as healthy for them as possible.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Stacy x

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. There. I'm 37 and was diagnosed the same with scalp and joint probs also i had patches of psoriasis all over my body . im on 15 mg of methotrexate once a week but i have started injecting humera in an epi pen been on that now for 3 months and the combination has cleared most of my psoriasis and helping my joints no end. It takes time but for me worthwhile. Make sure that you have regular blood tests with. The methotrexate as it can play about with your liver enzymes.

Hope this helps thanks dave

• Posted

Thanks for this Dave. Were you on MXT only at first, and I guess then approached your doctor because it wasn't working? Sorry to ask questions, just trying to get my head around it and if it didn't work. Thank you x

• Posted

I should have explained more, I mean because you are on two drugs now. Im uneducated sorry :-) x
  • Posted

Hi Stacy, what you've described does seem pretty typical of PsA, but don't worry about the methotrexate as you bloods will be monitored and you'll have regular check ups with your rheumy to make sure it is helping. It is important to start meds early to help prevent future and further damage, but many sufferers have differing extremes of symptoms. I'm 37 and have been on mxt for just over twelve months, but the first six months i didn't  feel that it helped. Now I'm on 8 mxt tablets once a week, and 4 sulfasalazine a day and I'm finally starting to feel some relief.

You may still have to take the anti-inflammitories for any pain, but it will be about finding a combination that works for you. And definitely try and stay active, just don't overdo it if you suffer a joint flare up. 

The only real issue I've found with methotrexate is the stomach upsets and nausea, eat carefully around dosing days and cut out anything that normally gives you problems. I've only recently realised that potatoes in any form are causing bloating and nausea, but for the last two weeks I've felt great without them.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Thanks for replying! Do you feel nauseous on the day you take your tablet or after? Re being active, are you able to recommend any exercises? I want to try swimming and running concerned now that I might put extra pressure on my joints.

Would you mind me asking do you (or anyone!) drink alcohol?

Thank you

Stacy x

• Posted

I work at a vineyard and when I first started Mtx I was depressed about not drinking... I asked my doctor and he said after two days the medicine is mostly gone so I wait three days take my Mtx on Sunday and don’t drink more than a few drinks
  • Posted

You sound similar to me, I was diagnosed with only 2 fingers affected. I was given methotrexate and I thought it was a bit extreme and was worried about taking it. Unfortunately mtx did not work for me and so my disease has now progressed and affects many joints. I have now started on another drug and am waiting in the hope that this one works. My point being that with no drugs or a drug that doesn't work this disease progresses quickly so take any chance to stop it in its tracks. I hope mtx works for you, good luck.

• Posted

Hi Eleanor

Thanks for replying. How long did it take for it to progress for you? I too feel like its extreme, like I'm making a fuss! It's completely out of my control. Thanks

Stacy

• Posted

HI

I was diagnosed 2 years ago this month and took mtx for about 18 months and during this time more and more joints became affected. Then my liver results were raised so they stopped the mtx and put me on a waiting list for a biologic drug (which I have just started) It seemed to progress with another joint becoming painful every couple of months so that within the 2 years since diagnosis I have gone from 2 finger joints to all my fingers, most of my toes, my wrist, knee and occasionally hip and back pain. So please don't feel like you are making a fuss because if you can catch it early it will hopefully prevent any deterioration and allow you to continue with a mostly 'normal' life. 

I did find that if you look up mtx there are lots of scary side effects but try not to worry because they just cover every eventuality and most likely you won't get many. I only suffered with stomach upsets which was easily cured by changing to injectable mtx and increasing folic acid. Most problems can be sorted and you will be closely monitored to pick up on any problems as they arise.

Good luck

Eleanor

• Posted

Forgive my ignorance but am I reading this right?  You were on MTX for 18 months yet the disease progressed rapidly?  I thought MTX was to slow or stop progress?  
    • Posted

That is the plan but unfortunately for me it did not work, my consultant increased the dose a few times in the hope that it would start to work for me but I had no luck with it. I am now on another drug which I hope will be better for me. 
  • Posted

Hi stacy i had to start with methotrexate with my joint pain but the humera injection is more for the psoriasis but will help with the joints aswell .

• Posted

I had some side affects with naproxen tabs gave me bad nightmares but stopped them . methatrex 15mg is ok once you get used to them but ask for humera in the hospital with the dermatologist for the psoriasis works a treat

• Posted

I had no problems on methotrexate, in fact the bad scaling dandruff totally went away... lol I guess all these years I had psoriasis! My worst is the pain in my pelvis, hips and low back. I’m taking methotrexate with prednisone and went from 15mg up to 20mg after a few months. I avoid alcohol for three days after my dosing on Sunday and went up to daily folate. Truthfully I was scared to death of taking it but it worked really pretty well on my skin symptoms. I’m just starting Humera, just hoping this works for the pain.
    • Posted

Thanks Donna. How much alcohol would you say is safe to drink?

I need to look into the other medicines being mentioned to get note clued up!

I hope you get what you need for the pain!

Thanks

Stacy

• Posted

I wait 3 days after methotrexate but I don’t go on a bender for the next 4 days lol! A few beers or wine would be reasonable but you have to go by your Dr and your liver tests

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.