New update

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys.. Thought I'd post a new update.

So....

Finally saw orthopedic surgeon yesterday and was told not to worry about labrum tear in left shoulder as that is probably not the cause of my pain but more likely general wear and tear. Pardon the pun..

Following an examination I was then informed that my shoulder is well and truly frozen.(Think I knew this already.) I was given a cortisone injection and finally being referred for physio. My problem is the excrutiating pain I have been in since waking during the early hours this morning. Its far worse than the original pain if that was ever possible. The surgeon did say I might be sore for a couple of days but right now my arm is completely stuck to my side and even sitting back or standing up is making me feel sick with the pain. Is this normal? I'm wishing I'd never had injection now..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Yes this can happen. It is known as a flare up. Happened to me once when they told me after the injection give it 48hours and I will feel like a new woman. Understatement of the year new woman felt like she was dying in pain. Sometimes the injection irriates your muscles and everything swells up, hence pain increase. It did take a while to settle down with cold presses and sometimes heat helped. Pain relief will be required while it settles down. Have you had the surgar rush yet from the steroid, if not be prepared. Things will improve. Best wishes. 
  • Posted

Did the doctor do an MRI to do determine if it is frozen shoulder and/or the labrum tear causing the pain?  I love how these doctors make assumptions without an MRI to really see what's going on. In any event if you get better with the physio and after a few months the frozen shoulder comes back make them give you an MRI to really determine what is going on.  Often the tear is what causes your frozen shoulder and needs to be repaired along with the frozen shoulder which is what happened to me.  The surgery worked in the end.  These doctors drive me nuts!! I hope the cortizone shot works quickly so your pain eases up fast. It sounds like you are really suffering.  So sad!! 
  • Posted

Oh dear. I recently had a cortisone jab and it took two days to start reducing the pain in my shoulder/arm. It has eased it somewhat. My second one is 23 December. Today my arm feels like it is improving but I'm not being too optimistic as my last frozen shoulder lasted 18 months. I do hope you feel better in a couple of days. No one can know how bad these FS are until they experience it. I had X-Ray to ensure no calcification of my joint etc and it was normal. I've haven't had an mri scan though nor when my other shoulder froze in 2006. Guess I've been lucky nothing else was going on. I wish you well.
  • Posted

Oh you poor thing! I was screaming the other day when I fell and landed on mine. I didn't think that such pain was possible. (Nor did I ever think that I could sound like a wounded bull!) I am considering having this injection too...............perhaps not now. Let me know how you are please, I shall follow your progress.

• Posted

Hi Claire. Please dont let my experience put you off having the injection. A couple of days later and the pain had massively reduced. Everyone is different and you may have no pain at all after your injection.

I know I said I wish I hadn't had it but now the pain has reduced I'm really glad I did. Take care and feel better soon.

• Posted

That's so good to hear. I am due to see the Dr on Tuesday (and it can't come too soon) so I shall not feel so apprehensive. Glad you are feeling better. x
  • Posted

Hope your pain has subsided by now.  Apparantly a flare is caused if the cortisone crystallizes inside the body - the cystals cause the pain which usually goes in a couple of days.  I also have a friend who had an alergic reaction - not to the cortisone itself but to one of the other components of the injection, though I think this is very rare.  My own experience was fortunately not so painful and a week on, my shoulder is largely pain free.  Hope that long term, yours will be the same.
    • Posted

Hi guys.. thanks for your best wishes.

Sorry ive not replied until now. My shoulder is much better now thanks. It took a couple of days to settle but now just a dull ache which I can live with ☺.

Had MRI back in October. Thats when they found the labrum tear and tendinosis.

Am still waiting to hear from physio but thats no surprise with our lovely nhs is it!

I wont see the surgeon for another 6 weeks so hopefully I will keep getting better. Thank you again. You are all wonderful. Feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Kaycee

i am so glad you are feeling a lot better. It's been two weeks since I had my first cortisone and I have to say the last three days pain in my arm had gone. I still had some stiffness but I could put up with that until it healed. However this morning I had my second cortisone.  My GP did it again and he is brilliant at giving injections, I can honestly say I felt nothing except the initial sting when the needle went in. I then felt a pushing as he went into the joint but no pain at all. Marvellous. My shoulder and arm does ache now as it did the first injection so I am optimistic I shall have even more improvement. Not sure I will have a third injection as I'm afraid of the tissues softening too much. But I'm so glad I had it done and so pleased you feel so much better. All the best. And happy Christmas. The dreaded FS will it stop us!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.