Newly diagnosed bowel prolapse surgery advised

Posted , 2 users are following.

So.. I have been diagnosed with a grade 2 bowel prolapse

The surgery offered will be via the vagina which I understand is the usual route

Has anyone got any advice regarding this operation

I'm cautious as I'm not a good healer and tend to suffer alot of swelling. A previous haemorrhoid surgery some years ago was massively traumatic and recovery was double the usual time. Part of me says it cant be worse than the process of a cut made for childbirth as its vaginal but then again last time I had that was 40 yrs ago. So 40 yrs older and less sparky

Opinions please

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I can only offer some general advice as I have not had this particular procedure but one very similar. Give yourself plenty of time to heal. Assume that the healing will not be totally complete for 3 months although you will feel a lot better by 6 weeks. No heavy lifting and keep your feet raised as much as possible. Now is the time to be a lady of leisure and let as many people as possible help you. Get yourself some good books or binge watch all those TV programmes you thought you would never see.

Get yourself as organised as possible before you go into hospital: get all that washing up to date, including bedding etc. Make sure you are stocked up with plenty of quick meals. Tissues and loo rolls. If you have a partner make sure they know you will be out of action for some weeks, and that includes sexual activity, making meals etc. If they can take at least a week off to look after you that is great. Or rally your friends and relatives. No hoovering, climbing or standing for more than 5 mins.

No walking outside for at least a week and then only 5 minutes to start with, gradually building up by 5 mins per day. No driving for 6 weeks. You will feel shattered at first but it gets better slowly. Dont rush it. Nobody said you had to be Wonder Woman! If you are at all overweight try to lose some, and gentle pelvic floor exercises are always beneficial after these sort of procedures.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.