newly diagnosed osteoporosis and anxious

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am 55 had a partial knee replacemnt last year and fell 4 weeks later fracturing my spine . I have had a dexa scan and been told i have osteoporosis . It has been recommended that I have a whole array of bloods done to include investigation for myeloma . Imagine my horror . Am waiting for this to come take calichew vit d and alendronic acid . I already take lanzoprozole for gastric issues . I am confused and anxious at the moment .I dont want a barrets oesophagus to my problems . Which way do you turn

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Bless your heart.  

I feared taking PPIs for many of their side effects, osteoporosis being one of them. My gastric issues (caused by medications I believe) are subsiding as I have been focusing on probiotics, even drink a shot of buttermilk sometimes even before I eat, started taking MSM, avoiding known acidic foods, balancing with alkalizing foods, chewing gum if I feel symtoms of acid reflux. 

Avoiding sugars, alcohol, ... (With small, few exceptions)

Try to do lots of research and most of all, don't let fear eat at you, just let yourself think, learn, but not your body feel the fears. Ask questions, you are young, hang in there. 

Personally I'm going to go natural for osteoporosis until my next Dexa scan, not sure when that might be, so will focus on good health and being. wink 

• Posted

First, I look up and pray and take a lot of deep breaths.

Here in the US there is a company that sells vitamins and minerals individually and in combination forms.  I highly recommend it because it reversed my ospeoporosis to osteopenia.  This combination has calcium, magnesium, D3 and zinc.  Magnesium is good for the nervous system so it would benefit the anxiety naturally rather than taking meds.  You want to concentrate on your bone and joint heath.  MSM is in a lot of the joint complex formulas and is great for the pain.  I have less of it.  I know osteoporosis is very painful.  I took care of my mom until she passed away and she had it bad.  There are people here who really care, so please keep us posted.  You're in my prayers.

• Posted

Thankyou ladies for your lovely reply .I will take on board what you tell me about the vitamins etc . Wasnt sure what you mean about msm what actually is it .

I have a stressful career as a midwife working over 12 hrs a day . I think perhaps its time for me to look after me and consider my health as am sure stress isnt any good either . I will keep you posted . Thankyou

• Posted

Yes, learning how to deal with stress and being more happy with our life will be a great lesson as well, you'll become an even great midwife. 

Though I really dislike the disease(s) I've received over last 1 1/2 years, but they are teaching me so much of how to have a better life, though I hope to get active again.

• Posted

The full name for MSM is methylsulfonylmethane and is very hard to pronounce correctly.   The one I take has MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin and hylauronic acid..  And mine has to be shellfish free so it's hard to find.  
  • Posted

Are you taking AA already? What are your tscores?

Sorry about all this that you are going through. 

How do you manage to work at such a demanding job with your back especially?

You are young as well. I am 71 with osteoporosis so I feel for you having this issue at such a young age.

• Posted

I have taken one tablet but not taking anymore .the sise effects to me outweigh the benefits . I completely forgot to ask about scores .my head was in a spin when she was talking to me .i will ask for a copy of my report though .

At present i am not back on my full duties and not entirely sure how i will cope as i am never pain free. Its all come as a total shock to me really but know i have to get myself into get fit mode .

• Posted

Gill, 

maybe this will help you cope with pain. Sometimes it helps me.  Someone recommended to me guided meditation. Well, finding one I liked was tough at first. But I did and he has taught me so much about breathing, 

Deep breath from belly, though it's tough when I'm standing, but if I'm lying on my back or belly it's easy. Then they say breathe into the painful area, or breathe in and let the oxygen go down your arms, legs, into your brain, then exhale slowly. See it calming your nerves, ...

Maybe while you are working you can sit for 5 minutes and breathe??? 

Also mindfulness meditation is quite nice. 

Or heck, tell yourself something funny and laugh. 

And yoga of course, slow, easy...

• Posted

The deep breathing from the belly is similar to the cleansing breath in yoga.  It's so calming.  You're right about that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.