Newly diagnosed psa 8, gleason 3+4 (7), highest pti 35

Posted , 8 users are following.

Urologist recommends surgery to remove prostate (robotically) and has warned about side effects; newest and best equipment (Mayo has same); he has done 2,000 of these procedures; considering setting up appt with oncology dr for second opinion. Is all of this sounding like I am on the right path??? After getting diagnosed, I have such a higher appreciation for what others have gone through. Thank you for any advice you can give me. Dale

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Well,personally if I was you I would get a lot more information.

My hubby had exactly the same gleeson score as you,with a PSA 10.That was April this year,he chose to go down the Hormone treatment and Radiotherapy route,which he finished yesterday .I must say he hasn't had a problem at all,apart from a few hot flushes,which haven't been to bad.

If I was you I would do a lot of research on here,there's the McMillan prostate forum ,you can even chat with them for any questions you have,and Google . Just do as much research as possible,before you make a decision .   Oh and by the way my hubby was healthy before this,and he still goes walking everyday.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice and yes, I am trying to learn as much as possible, but am finding that I am also wanting to hear about personal experiences from people that have similar circumstances.
    • Posted

Hello Norma--Looks like I am on Hme /Rdio route . Would you tell me drugs and rad. Used.         Thanks.          Washie
    • Posted

Hi Washie, My hubby has the 3mthly Hormone Injections,his Oncologist said they normally start with 1mth to see how you cope with it,but they made a mistake and gave him the 3mthly one straight away,luckily enough he handled it well.  The name of the injection is Prostrap 3 DCS 11.5mg.

Im not to sure about the Radiotherapy but I will try and find out tomorrow .

Hope that's a help.

• Posted

Hey Dale, I would definitely do lots of research on different treatments before making any decision. Start with a second option and have your 3+4=7 confirmed by another pathologist. Arm yourself with information, you have time.
  • Posted

Thank you. What is confusing is that the dr said that if it was him, this is what he would do, take out the prostate. It also sounded like that was the most sure way of getting rid of the cancer. We do have a relative who had his prostate out 20 years ago and 4 years ago it "reappeared" in his bone marrow. I would imagine procedures in 20 years are much improved, but still is concerning. Is one of the biggest deciding factors the side effects that come with this procedure?
  • Posted

Hi Dale

Had same Gleason as you . Checked out all options and went for robotic protectomy. All good so far two years on. You must check out all options including watch and wait and decide which one is best for you

All the best.  Mike

• Posted

My status is very similar: Gleason 3+4, PSA of 5+ (down from low 'teens with finasteride) T2c at 69 after 13 years of active surveillance. New development: possible extra capsular extension on recent ultra sound. Doctors at renown major university clinic say 12 years of life expectancy without treatment and 99% disease free life expectancy at 10 and 15 years with surgery with 1 in 4 chance of cancer coming back after 5-8 years. Hard choice but I am now worrying about progression without treatment. There is little to find out about this as most literature deals with treatment not living with cancer at my stage. I hope to find others with knowledge or similar history. I am healthy in all ways at 69, but my mother had Alzheimer's and I have had a TIA.
  • Posted

Thanks, Mike. Glad to hear of someone who went that direction who is satisfied (or maybe that is too strong a word?) with it. I guess you face facts and choose the best option. Comforting knowing I am not the only one going through this.
  • Posted

Hi Dale

Your figures are similar to mine. I was first diagnosed in May last year Gleason 3+3 psa 5.6 after standard 12 biopsies. I chose active surveillance with psa monitored regularly. PSA 7.5 and then had MR scan in June this year revealing 'abnormalities in two areas. Targeted biopsies revealed a 3+4 with the original 3+3 still 3+3!

Sorry for the long story but getting there smile

I saw my surgeon 2 days ago and booked in for robotic protectomy tomorrow.

• Posted

I meant prostatectomy smile
    • Posted

Hi Sloco, can I ask how old you are?

best of luck with the Op

• Posted

Sorry for the delay, been distracted smile

I am 49 with no other health issues other than acid reflux(silent).

My op went well (nobody has said it didn't).

I now have six 'keyhole' incisions across my stomach with staples/clips keeping them closed. Urethra sewn back to the bladder, with 'temporary' urine catheter in while the rejoin completes. I go back to the urology hospital for a trial without catheter next week. Hope all returns to as was but if not I will adapt of course smile

Pathology report back in 2 weeks to determine if it was contained within the capsule. PSA in six weeks!

S.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing that Soloco. You sound very positive and so you should. Can I ask why you chose surgery as opposed to RT or BT?

Best of luck with the  recovery

• Posted

Having been on AS for 17 months and would say anxious at times over what could be hidden in there, I just wanted to get the thing out. Also read that other treatments could take a while before knowing if they were successful. If not, surgery would not be an option as the prostate structure changes with radiation.

My father died of advanced prostate cancer. It had spread to his lymph nodes, bones etc. I am hoping not to go that way smile

S.

• Posted

Thanks Soloco. Given those set of circumstances I think I would have done the same. If my next blood test in December continues to rise, then I think I'll be going down the surgery route as well.

best wishes

• Posted

Thanks

I will keep you posted smile

Deepest apologies for hijacking this thread sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.