Newly off tramadol. Need help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Last week I requested a fill on my tramadol rx to find that I had no refills left and my doctors office decided to no longer fill the rx without a visit which I was unable to do because they don’t take my insurance any longer. Long story short I took my last dose this past Monday. So basically I’m quitting cold turkey which I am struggling with but managing somehow. A little back history.... I have been taking anywhere from 100-200mg to start a day for the last 3-4 years and after I dropped a ton of weight I dropped a different medication which caused me to increase tramadol to a full 200mg daily. I have been wanting to get off tramadol for awhile now but now that I’m almost a week off of it I am wondering if anyone else feels dizziness and nausea. It doesn’t stop me from eating and I don’t vomit but sudden turns around corners and even driving has been making me nervous because sudden dizziness is occurring more and more. I called a pharmacist today and they  recommended I take meclizine. My concern is I have extreme sensitivity to ANY and ALL meds that cause drowsiness. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is what I’m experiencing considered normal? I am a little worried that this could get worse with time and I am super concerned about the seizures that could possibly happen with sudden stopping. 

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you!

Dani 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dear j68551 200 mg. Per day. That’s a quite daily high dose of Tramal.  Try 50 mg per day combined with 300 mg Paracetamol. Washed down with strong coffee.No Sugar!

Next half a capsule or 25 mg. Mix the powder with coffee or mineral water. 

Then only Paracetamol. Always lots of coffee and mineral water. No cookies!

Good luck! Bangkok-Johnny recovering from a painful TKR stage two revision.

• Posted

I’m in the US so that would be Tylenol here but as I previously mentioned I took my last dose on Monday. I don’t have anymore tablets to take and though I would love to take another tramadol because my body and my brain are saying to take it, I don’t have any available to me and I do not want to fill another prescription just to continue to be hooked. 

If you have any suggestions that do not suggest me continuing to take a medication that I’m trying to get off of and have no access to, I will gladly accept it. 

I have noticed when I take ibuprofen and drink coffee it makes a difference. I have to be careful with taking too many otc pain meds though due to rebound headaches. 

• Posted

hi there Dani first of all I'm really proud of you for quitting and you're doing great meclizine is the best thing that helps with vertigo or dizziness, so that's a good drug for you to take and not very many side effects also unless you're prone to seizures you wouldn't have seizures people get seizures when they take too much Tramadol it sounds like you're doing awesome just drink lots and lots of water take your vitamins and get lots of rest

• Posted

Thank you deedee! The struggle is real not going to beat around the bush at all about this. I didn’t think it would be this hard. It’s about as horrible as quitting cigarettes but the withdrawal symptoms are more delayed.  I have been struggling to drink water but I do drink a lot of mint citrus tea to curb the nausea. I noticed that when I drink the nausea stops briefly. I will definitely need to get meclizine. 
  • Posted

That’s not right that they didn’t give you any warning they wanted you off the tramadol! They should have asked when you requested the last lot of tablets for you to come for review so you could at least taper off the tablets slowly instead of going cold turkey 😢. Feel really bad for you as I’m in the UK and currently weaning off them too. My doctor wanted me to wean down by 1 tablet every 2 weeks. Have been on them for about 6-7 years too xx

• Posted

I'm on Tramodol and doc told me to start to ween myself off them Which I've started to cut down the the tablets now I'm just taking 100 on a morning at work . You must go to the docs because as you been on them a while and the amount you take you've got to do like me cut them down not to just stop like that .. please see doc xx

• Posted

I been on tramadol for over 10 years and last year I came off it easily. Get empty capsules from Amazon and slowly wean off from 50mg tramadol to 40mg to 30 20 10 and your off them. Very easy
    • Posted

Thanx Sultan 18283 I'll have to try that I've only been on them 3 and half years it might not take much doing it's just to stop thinking it's time for my Tramodol I'm doing good on the afternoon and night it's just my 10 o'clock on a morning now to stop x

• Posted

Try to go from 50mg to 40mg in the morning for one week. Open the 50mg capsule and make 5 parts, take 4 parts of tramadol and put on the same capsule or a new one. You can check on Google for a supplier of empty capsules.
  • Posted

I am weaning myself down after 7 years of 150 to 350 mg a day. I have been off for 1 week back in 2015 I wish I would not have ever started. Once I am done with what I have to taper off which will be this,weekend I am NOT going to refill. I am tired of dealing with this at 47 yrs old... I pray to not feel sick and weak like I have in past. So help me GOD. I really want to put this behind me and be free from any pill that dictates my feelings that control my life.
    • Posted

I know how you feel. I been through it and I hope you do come off it. Lower the dosage slowly from 50 to 40 for 3 days

30 mg for 3 days

20mg for 3 days

And so on

Eventually you be free

• Posted

Coming off tramadol is like coming off an anti depressants. You get brain zaps where you feel dizzy and as if your brain is hitting the inside of your head. It lasts 2 weeks. Try St. John’s wort but only if you are not on an anti depressant 

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.