Nexium (PPI)

Posted , 7 users are following.

just wondering if anyone has had problems with low iron, if you have been on Nexium for a long time? Women would be the ones who might find their iron levels low, coz the body needs acid to absorb the iron, and if we are taking a PPI it's blocking the acid, therefore our bodies are not absorbing enough iron. My GP has told me that this does happen, for people who are on PPI's for a long time.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Too high a dose of any acid suppressant over too long a time can result in hypochlorhydria (insufficient stomach acid) which may inhbit absorption of essential minerals.

The hydrochloric acid leeches the minerals from the foods and converts them to chlorides which may be absorbed into the blood supply in the duodenum.

I was on very high (80mg) omeprazole for a number of years (prior to a fundoplication which has meant I'm now meds free) . I was anaemic and unable to walk more than 50 yards without getting breathless - and was on ferrous fumerate prescribed b my doctor.

Read the chapter about Induced hypochlorhydria in the free book / website: www DownWithAcid org uk

Read about possible problems with PPI overuse in the page "PPI dangers" (under Treatments/Drugs tabs) on the www BarrettsWessex org uk website.

(And, P.S., it's not just women - I'm a man! )

• Posted

Best thing I ever did.

My worst problems were reflux rather than acid. PPIs make reflux less damaging but even 80mg omeprazole doesn't stop the mechanical action of reflux.

From not being able to walk 50 yards without being breathe, within a few weeks, I wa cycling 30 miles a day before breakfast.

My reflux symptoms (cough etc) had gone and I was off PPIs immediately.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply,I will def. look up that book you mentioned.

see I too was on (80mg) of omepraxole before the fundo, after my fundo I tried to reduce the PPIs but, found I needed it, my GP said I would need to stay on it because I have Barrett's. I've had about 7mths of close to normal eating without the heartburn, but as of late the heartburn has started again, despite me taking the (80mg) of PPI's a day. I am also having iron injections once a fortnight. For six weeks to see how I go.

i had the full wrap fundo, and also repair of a sliding hiatus hernia, actually there were two repairs the umbilical and the hiatus hernia.

is it possible that the full fundo wrap has come undone?

should I go back and see the GI Dr. Just thinking if I do what is he going to be able to do for me?

• Posted

If you are still experiencing acid reflux, your wrap isn't as effective as it should be.

Usually patients experiencing heartburn after surgery find it clears up within a few months.

If experiencing heartburn again after a few months of normaility, it could be the warp is loose. You can discuss it with your doctor and see whether it needs revision.

My wrap came loose following 5 hours violent retching due to norovirus. I had a revision (using Collis-Nissen which is more likely to hold)/

• Posted

Thank you so much, your advice is greatly appreciated. Also thanks for that link on down with acid, so informative! I am still reading it, find it very helpful understanding all the aspects of these digestive disorders. Acid reflux, Barrett's etc.

its such a great help to myself and thousands of people out there in need of this kind of help, that is not available by The health professionals!

• Posted

Hi,yes im taking Pariet 20mg long term and i am low in iron and B12.i now take iron suppliments and have a B12 injections 3 monthly.
  • Posted

Yes this can be the case, I have been told I have b12 and folate deficiency probably caused by not absorbing enough through PPIs
  • Posted

I'm new at this.  Don't know what to say yet.  Actually, I was diagnosed with acid reflux and have Barrett..2 or 3 years ago!  The GI Doctor said I have to take Lanso for life. I have been taking that on and off because I understand that taking this kind of med is not good!

I stopped taking it for almost two months now, my stomach have been feeling better until to nite around 11:30 (Wednesday) till now 2:44 am (Thursday) after I ate at 10:30 pm last nite.  My stomach been hurting bad for about three hours now; just beginning to feel better!

looking for answer what to do? But, unwilling to take med. and I don't think that's the answer! Because even when I was taking the med.  the same thing still happen to me after I eat no matter what I ate...

Can someone help? Will greatly appreciate it.

• Posted

Esther, you need to go and see your GP, and let her know all your symptoms. Also it's not a good idea to have dinner late at night, you should make sure that after you've eaten it's 3 hrs before you go to sleep. Your body needs to digest the food, before you lye down.

you need to stay with the medication as advised by your Dr.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice! But, I'm still not willing to take medication. Lately I haven't been experiencing hours of pains in my stomach, thanks God!!!

i have been taking probiotic and drinking bone broth! I like to get organic bone but, not only expensive and hard to find.  So I'd got some bone protein. Trying to get the gelatin for the gut lining. I also use chicken feet to make broth; easy to find and rather inexpensive, wish I could fine organic thought!!

How are you feeling?

• Posted

Glad to hear you are feeling better, and not having to take any medication.

you mentioned chicken feet? What do you do with it? Does it have health benefits? I've never tried chicken feet before, my chicken shop sells it.

what probiotic do you take?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.