NHS Treatment Frustration

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello!

I hope everyone is well during these strange and troubling times.

You have provided sage, sensible advice previously and I'm hoping for similar regarding this query.

Despite my cholesterol levels being drastically reduced - 9.2 to 6.3 - within months due to a change in diet and lifestyle, my telephone consultation today with a doctor still recommended Statins and taking another blood test! Just to say, my last full blood test was a year ago and they found a high level of Lp (a), which is largely hereditary and the level set at birth and unchangeable.

I have continued with the changes I made - incidentally never commented on by any doctor I've seen! - and it frustrates me that the general NHS approach seems so tunnel visioned. She wants me to take some new blood tests for an update, which I guess is fair enough, but given we are in the midst of a pandemic it seems a bit much to be put at risk in a clinical setting. The Lp (a) will be unchanged in all likelihood and save for minor fluctuations, I expect the same for my total cholesterol levels.

They seem adamant to get me on Statins one way or another and when I brought up side-effects and lack of efficacy in Lp (a) treatment, I was told that there were little to no side effects and the drug is the first line in treatment for Lp(a)!

Any advise on how I get them off my back and left alone to continue with what I've been doing successfully would be welcome. As would any recommendations for (UK users) clinical practitioners who use a diet and lifestyle approach to treating high cholesterol.

Many thanks,

Marina

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marina -

I have FH - hereditary high cholesterol. Statins poisoned me totally. Took six years to recover. I've tried 5 types. A new drug called Repatha has been developed. One injection once a fortnight. My LDL went from 6.4 to 1.2 virtually overnight. Minimal side effects. I would suggest checking it out. Don't know what the situation is in England, but here (Australia) it's expensive.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Wayne and glad to hear that you're successfully lowering your LDL levels. Unlike you, I don't have FH and changes to my diet and lifestyle had a significant effect in my general levels overall.

I think I'll get the the new tests done and continue with what Ive been doing . Even if there's an unexpected rise in levels, ill tweak my diet as that has proven to have an effect.

Good luck and I hope your success with the new drug continues.

Marina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.