Nightmares after ablation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i had a uterine ablation on Dec 30th 2015 after 2 years of very heavy long periods. Gp wantwd me to have coil which i refuse to have.

First 2 months were fine then i had 4 weeks of the most horrific pain. 5 trips to A&E and being told it was constipation i knew it wasnt. I had an emergency gynae appointment and scan and read the result which showed large clot but the consultant said it was likely a kidney infection so referred me for scan. This was in the hospital i had treatment as i had moved and my notes had not arrived at new surgery. On my last visit to A&E by ambulance sobbing in pain i told the doctor i was not leaving until taken seriously. Finally i got admitted but they wetent sure wether ot was related to thectreatment or appendicitis. Next morning i nearly passed out from the amount of blood i lost. I have been back to see the consultant who i ended up arguing with as i now suffer the pain each month with 1 day of light bleeding. He wants me to have the coil fitted! I have once again refused to which he put in large writing on my notes flately refuses coil. He has agreed under duress i can have hysterectomy but i have to wait to see him again in november to give ablation chance of working. Each month i am in the most horric pain im taking 2 tramadol and 2 paracetomal and am like a zombie. I would never recomend the ablation. What was supposed to be new chapter in my life has turned out to be living nightmare.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this and how I you get sorted soon. can I ask was your clot in uterus ? I had a mri which showed a endometrial clot in uterus just wondering why this happens as no one has explained to me? I only got diagnosed as had a heavy 3 week bleed and scan showed endometrioma and Mri showed the small blood clot in uterus.i hope after a hysterectomy you are new woman xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle the first doctor i saw said it was a clot but i believe its now when im due a period there is nowhere for it to go now so engorges the tubes which is what causes the excruciating pain. X
    • Posted

I thought the clots would disperse after a while what do you think ? As clots are only congealed blood I would have hoped they would disappear xxx
    • Posted

Id like to think so and hopefully by the time i go back in november im pain free. If not it will be surgery for sure as ive had enough.

• Posted

Hello Belle, what a bad experience! I had an ablation about 15 years ago, it was not really successful and deformed my uterus so that even when a coil was suggested for me it was impossible to fit. It did dramatically decrease my bleeding for a while, though, maybe a year. Since then my fibroids have grown and more or less filled the cavity and walls. Can't believe you have to live with that distress until November! Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Belle,  I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I cannot comment on ablation as I do not know much about it or why it is now a treatment option, but if this was me I would want to see a different consultant.  You can request this or say you want a second opinion . Your choices should be respected and there is usually more than one option with treatment.    It's your body and your choice and I dont blame you for not wanting a coil. I didnt want one and that was the end of it. They did not keep asking me. I take it they did not know what was causing the heavy bleeding for 2 years. I would want other opinions if this was me. I would seek these out, but I appreciate you dont want to keep being examined either. Sometimes there is no need and I say no on those ocassions. A discussion should suffice. I hope you can so you can make an informed choice on what to do  next. I hope your pain eases.  Take care and look after yourself, seek out support and maybe some complimentary therapy if you believe in it. 

• Posted

Yes, I had an ablation(Cold One) in 2011. I had none of the symptoms they said I would have such as clear or watery discharge right after the procedure. I did however, started to have symtoms and even more painful period about a year later and as my fibroids and adenomyosis had progressed and gotten worse. I suffered,and I mean I suffered for at least two years from a failed ablation with constant watery discharge and even worse periods. My cramping was on a level 20 with Oxycodone and Naproxsyn every month and still I was bent over in pain. I also have severe Anemia, due to severe blood loss, that caused me to get iron infusions every couple of months. As far as the ablation, I felt like my Uterus was inflammed and kept producing this yellow discharge and everytime I get it checked and beg  the doctors to do something they said it was fine and no infection. I know the discharge came from the ablation because prior to that, I never had heavy discharge to the point I had to wear pads as panty liners. I usually never had to wear even panty liners. The bottom line on the Ablation, I was told mine was ineffective because I had adenmyosis along with fibroids and I WISH they would have told me that before I went throught this extra pain. I have since on 5/4/2016 had The UFE (as this is my last attempt to save my Uterus ) and oh..that is a whole other topic.
  • Posted

Hi Bellelouise, so sorry about your pain to date. Am curious why you do not want coil? I had an ablation and mirena iud inserted at same time 5 years ago and it improved my life threefold. I had heavy periods, constant cramping and pain for years and this procedure and iud changed everything. If you are able to seek out another or even a few other medical opinions before jumping to a hysterectomy please do. In the last year, I have had severe pain and urinary problems due to a growing fibroid. 2 gynos immediately said I needed an abdominal hysterectomy and I was seriously considering this until I started researching books and speaking to a number of women. There are non invasive alternatives and gynos out there who will listen and suggest other options. Hopefully it's something you can consider first.

• Edited

I feel your pain, I also had an ablation almost 3 years ago and last January I started with severe pelvic pain which showed a blocked falopian tube, had it removed and 3 months later started with severe pelvic pain plus lower back and hip pain, ultrasound showed a build up of blood in my uterus, they say because the upper part of my uterus didn't take in the ablation and now the blood is blocked, my Dr recommends a hysterectomy, go to a different Dr if he tells you to wait, ive been in excruciating pain for a year and a half.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.