no bowel control after stoma reversal

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi. my husband had a bowel resection in June 2023, he then had a stoma reversal in October 2023.

We thought that would mean that our worries were over but he now has no control over his bowel movements. He gets an urgent feeling of needing to use the loo, when he gets there it's either just wind or an explosion. He has had several mishaps but this morning was the worst as he had no warning but just realised that he had filled his pants.

I'm careful about what I am feeding him, no onions, leaf veg, spicy or rich food etc.

he is now wearing incontinence pants.

he's lost about a stone & a half,

He has gone from walking approx. 5miles a day to hardly going out at all as he is so worried about having a mishap.

He is becoming depressed & blames me for making him go to the doctor in the first place, saying that he would rather have died than go through what he is going through now.

He has been told that it takes time to get back to normal, but is there anything he can do to ease things.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.