no freedom from blepharitis, help?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have suffered with Blepharitis for 6 years now, I was diagnosed age 15, 2 years after i first started experiencing symptoms. I have never met anyone else with the condition, which is quite hard to go through at such a young age. About 1 year ago I was also diagnosed with a severe dust allergy and do believe that it triggers my blepharitis flare-ups. I have been taking Cetirizine Hydrochloride for about a year and this helped to get the blepharitis under control, and it would only tend to happen around hormonal times, or if i was ill at the time. I use a hot compress mask and the typical cleaning regime whenever i think a flare up is coming, and i know that I should be doing it regularly but i actually find that it causes irritation more than anything. the last three months or so, i havent really been able to manage the blepharitis at all. The dust allergy symptoms are less than before, except for the sore, itchy swollen eyes. it has been constant for about three months and i am finding it so frustrating as I am a full time university student who needs to work, and i also struggle to drive when i am having a flare up, any suggestions anyone?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Aimee, I'm 57 and have had blepharitis for just three years approx, I really sympathise and can only suggest you keep up the cetrazine, as I myself need a daily dose of it and find it the only thing that keeps it pretty much at bay.  I still get daily soreness, weepiness on top and sometimes, about once a week or fortnight an actual flare which is horrid, my eyes swell up dreadfully and its difficult to see but without the cetrazine it is far far worse.  However have you tried blephagel to just rub along your lids very close to the eye edge, I even get some in as it soothes and really does no harm that I have noticed, and daily applications of this, its available from your GP, really supplement the cetrazine and have worked wonders for the irritation I still get.  Now currently there is a temporary manufacturers issue regarding supply of blephagel to the market but I've been told it will be back available to buy or on prescription by the end of NOvember so not long to go, I strongly advise you get hold of some as its amazingly soothing in a way I have found no other gel nor indeed product to work as well, good luck anyway, Fiona

• Posted

Hi Aimee

I've suffered with it for about 12 years now and I've finally managed to get it under control. I ended up with depression and I've had to be treated for that. That's how bad my belpharitis was.

The thing I've been using lately is a shampoo called capasal. It's sort of like a coltar shampoo but it's got coconut oil added to it. I wash my hair with it then I scrub my eyes with the lather from my hair. Leave it for about 20 seconds then rinse it off. It took about 2 weeks for it to start working but I've had no flare up since May when I started using it.

It's quite expensive. About £8 a bottle but it lasts for ages! I'm only halfway through my second bottle since starting in May. I found it in a little chemist in Manchester City centre but you can buy it online at Boots or Amazon if you can't find it on the high street.

Just give it a try. It really works for me. Also my GP prescribed me with hydrocortisone ointment to apply to my eyelids after showering. But only a very tiny amount.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Gosh I've bought many expensive things to try and treat this, one more can't hurt! I will have a look and try it, thank you

• Posted

Aimee, the blephasol on top of the cetrazine, is a simple no fuss remedy but it really DOES work, you should give it a go.  Fiona
    • Posted

Hi Fiona, i have used blephasol before, i found it was good for removing crust from around the eyes, but that was about it. I still do use it for that, but I dont get much relief from it. It's just so hard with this condition because it really is a matter of finding what works for you. However I will try with the Blephagel. I will try anything, honestly.

• Posted

Aimed, I agree it's very hard but blephagel works differently to blephagel and it's much more effective and a great deal more soothing, but you must see for yourself obviously, as it's a very individual thing. Best wishes.

• Posted

Sorry Aimee my predictive text is being a nightmare, I meant blephagel was more effective than blephasol for me at any rate.
  • Posted

I agree, I am amazed others have condition. I thought I was alone. My bleph is severe the past 3 months, I am talking extreme scary looking zombie eyes. I wear absolutely no makeup, I can't. My regime is:

1. Cleanse eyes with ocusoft, followed by washing face with cetaphil.

2. Wash lash area with Qtip wrapped in RED Wet Ones....let dry 15 minutes

3. Use Cliradex wipe on eyes

4. A few hours later I use Ocusift PLUS

5. Afternoon Repeat RED Wet Ones,

6. Bedtime wash face with cetaphil paying attention to eyes, let dry apply Cliradex or ocusoft plus.

At moment eye area gets so dry I apply a light GEL moisturizer, eye creams seem to cause issues.

I keep doing it and it subsides but will flare in 3 week intervals. I occasionally will use an Epsom salt soak with a wash cloth.

I am st a loss what to do next. I look terrible, eyes inflamed red on lids and at times under eye fills with fluid. I go to work looking like a zombie and constantly here what is wrong with your eyes.

• Posted

I occasionally use an ice pack just to get relief
    • Posted

When my bleph was at it worst and I was trying to figure out what to do to get relief, like you I tried a number of things that I had read about to treat my eyes. Then when someone who knew a bit about it asked me what I was using and I listed it all he wisely suggested I was doing too much and needed to simplify. 

Using Cliradex, OcuSoft, and Red Wet Ones all at the same time sounds extremely irritating for your eyes and the skin around your eyes. 

You might want to choose one of those, applying it to you lash lines after you have washed your face each morning and before bed. Use the Qtip method to apply. Stick with one of these for a few months to see how your eyes react.

When you apply cream around your eyes, wet your lids and under your eyes and apply the cream to the area but keeping clear of your lash lines.

Use preservatve free eye drops as needed. I find Retaine to be the best for comfort and it is slow to evaporate so you need to use less.

Change your pillowcases at least every other day, and treat your eyebrows with whatever you are using on you lashes.

Try using paper towels to wash you eyes and face using half a sheet for each eye to avoid cross contamination. Use just water for awhile and see how things go. i think that you might find that "less" may help,you more. 

i was very grateful that I was given that advice. It took a while but things are so much better now. I hope you might find the same thing. 

• Posted

Speaking from experience I can guarantee that using all those things together will do some serious damage to your skin.
    • Posted

If I could input here, I also feel you can end up overdoing things and making it worse. My method is twofold, a daily ceterazine and blephagel to back up, it doesn't cure it completely but it is pretty darn effective.

• Posted

I don't use all at same time but throughout day to get relief from extreme itching, red eyes, crust on lids, etc.

I wish I could post a picture my case is horrifying

• Posted

You could post it on imgur I'm really curious. 

• Posted

I am so sorry you are having so much trouble. It is so difficult trying to,find what might get things under control. Are you working with an ophthalmologist? Even though I pretty much had to figure out what would work to get things under control I have a Dr that I check in with. 

At the start she put me on an an antibiotic, doxycycline, and prescription lid wash Avenova which I applied with a Qtip on lash lines. I used Aveeno eczema cream on my lids and around my eyes. I stayed with this routine for three months and it slowly cleared things up to where it was manageable. Then I stopped the antibiotics and swIthced from Avenova to OcuSoft PLUS since it was over the counter but fights bacteria and pollen as well (which is one of my triggers). 

Now I am able to maintain and continue to improve. 

Have you seen a Dr? Have you tried antibiotics?

I sure wish you were having better luck. We all know how difficult it is to deal with Blepharitis. Stay with it until you find a routine that works for you. However, I think you might need to stick with one treatment at a time because if one of them is an irritant for your eyes or skin, you won't know which one it is. Only you will know what is best for you. 

I do wish you luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.