No need to drink the whole prep Peglyte

Posted , 2 users are following.

My Colonoscopy Experience:

I avoided headache and drinking all that nasty prep beverage!

I didn't do everything they told me to do and all went swimmingly anyways. But of course, what worked for me may not work for everyone. 

I am 36 year old female, 130 lbs, don't typically eat large meals, have regular bowel movements one a day if I maintain proper fiber in my diet. 

2 days before: just snacking most of the day. No major adjustment; that's how I eat. 

1 day before: 

- morning: clear fluids: plain tea, apple juice, water, chicken broth *BM normal --started getting a headache by noon so I took 400mg ibuprofen and electrolyte tablet in water, headache gone in 30 mins-- 

- 2pm *BM normal (the double BMs might be because I was getting a little nervous about taking the laxatives - nerves are my natural laxative)

- 3pm took 4 Bisocodyl tablets followed by 1 Litre of watered down Gatorade and then beef broth

- By 4pm, I was actually feeling full. *BM loose

- 5pm suppose to drink 4 litres of Peglyte (1 glass every 10 minutes) YEAH RIGHT! I put ice in it but after two glasses, there was no way I could down anymore. I had to take breaks and sip. For me, it wasn't so much the taste as it was just feeling too full to drink anymore of anything. I have acid reflux to boot so it wanted to come up. But I wasn't going to force myself. And it turns out I wouldn't have to. 

- 7:30pm and I finished only 1/3  of Peglyte, but after *5 BMs, my stool was already liquid and yellow (Use Vaseline if you're anus is sore, or have shallow bath; I was fine just being gentle and using wet cleaning cloths.)

- About 4 more small runs to the washroom (all yellow and rushes out like pee), some water, Gatorade and beef broth (to compensate for giving up on the Peglyte) and in bed by 10pm -- a slight bit of heartburn made it difficult to sleep at first but I got there. 

Day of: 8am procedure, opted for full anesthetic. Came out fuzzy but no pain or nausea. Needed to pass all the air gas they put in me. That was the only uncomfortable moment. 

2 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Good to read this as I was thinking same, once it's watery I'm not forcing myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.