No sleep yet

Posted , 11 users are following.

Good evening fellow non sleepers. I am 3 weeks and 5 days post right THR. Daytime is not too bad, getting around and doing odd jobs etc but I cannot sleep at night because of the cramps that start the minute I go to bed. I have pillows to support my leg, I sit up but this does nothing. Pain killers are no good, oh to just lie ony side. Are any of u having this problem??

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I appreciate your frustration. I just hit my 6 week mark and continue to struggle with no sleep. I have ache behind knee and sometimes down the outside of calf that keeps me up. Like you, no relief with pain killers. I just ice and cross my fingers that sleep will win out over discomfort. While it is agony at 2:30 am to be awake, living without pain during the day keeps me going. Good luck and let me know if you discover a way to enjoy a good night's sleep. 
    • Posted

Why is it we have such a pain behind the knee?  Did they clamp it there or something?  

carol

• Posted

Hi Penny

i crave sleep. I am 12 days post op. Like you I get around no too bad but I didn't sleep very well before op so now  it's a nightmare and for me the worst bit. m It's  a bit daunting thinking there are weeks ahead of this!! The cramps are horrible, perhaps  our fellow  hippies can come up with a suggestion to help them. I

I spend a lot of time in the reclining chair, 

having said that, last night was my best so far. Went to bed midnight and slept until four this morning. !  

Wish I could be more positive.  I do get to see the sunrise now though, there have been some glorious mornings.

good luck penny

carol 

• Posted

good morning Penny ...how annoying and frustrating -- sleep pattern is definitely off and like Carol, I too have seen some glorious sunrises - 

Can the leg cramps be due to lack of potassium? or maybe, like in my case, you are not stretching your legs a lot during the day ... for some reason I didn't do that - legs up was more comfortable - then when I was in bed and stretched my legs, whammo, cramps .... heat works better for me - just a hot water bottle under my calves would relax the muscles -

there are many different things one can do to fall a sleep ...very personal though - what works for me, most of the time anyway, is to try NOT TO WORRY so much about not sleeping in bed ...I tell myself that it's okay and I will make up for it during the day ... and if that doesn't happen, that's okay too - 

be gentle with your self today - maybe eating bananas ,ight help with the cramps -

big hug 

renee

• Posted

Hi Penny,

Hang on in there, things will get better once you can lie on your side.

At my first physio session, I was shown how to roll over onto my side to sleep. Bliss!!

So maybe once you're on your side, the cramps will stop. It won't be long now, I'm sure!

Anna x

• Posted

Hi Penny

Good morning!

Hope you got some sleep last night x

Sorry to hear of your frustration. As said earlier, do see your GP about the cramps: yes potassium and other ions may be out of synch.

Strangely my Devon hospital said sleeping on back was desirable, but either side was ok with care after first few weeks. Very confusing cos others not told this , but just thought you should this as an alternative view.

Take care of yourself

Mic.

• Posted

I resist having a couple of hrs in the afternoon then I am tired at night. I lay in the sofa and watch tv around 10pm and end up dozing off for a good hour then go up to bed and sleep for between 4-6 hrs every night on my back. I put one pillow under my head and one under my knees.

I feel much more normal without that afternoon nap.

• Posted

Hi Penny

Yes I had that problem - restless legs with attitude! Went yo the hp and dhe prescribed pamiprexole. Works like a charm.

• Posted

I've heard tonic water helps relieve cramp.
    • Posted

It does but not the "diet" kind, you need the old fashioned Indian tonic water that contains quinine, diet tonic water does not have it in. Its an old remedy but still used by many. Dot.
  • Posted

Hi Penny seems I have no trouble sleeping but I retire at 3am, and awake at 10am, regularly, but I take 2X 50mg tramadol, and 5mg  Amytriptiline at 3am, and I am asleep in 15nins, I still count down from 50 slowely stilling the mind, but I have been meditating for years now, sure that helps.

Try that...Kind regards Ian.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.