Non-alcoholic beer ok for colonoscopy clear liquid diet?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I will be making an appointment for a colonoscopy soon, and am currently planning various details including the clear liquid diet to cleanse my colon. One question: is non-alcoholic beer an acceptable part of a clear liquid diet for colonoscopy prep? I'm worried that I will feel a bit faint if I have to subsist on only chicken broth, fruit juice, etc., and would like to have something with a little more substantial caloric value to get me through the day (also, coffee and tea on an empty stomach can make me feel slightly unwell). A good source of liquid carbohydrate such as non-alcoholic beer seems ideal, but I wanted to know if this is medically acceptable. I think one 50 cl can for breakfast and one 50 cl can for lunch (or even just one for breakfast and then chicken broth, juice, etc. for the rest of the day) would be enough to stave off hunger and lightheadedness. Does this sound sensible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Good luck with the colonoscopy.

Would it be sensible to phone the hospital or your surgery to check whether altering the diet as prescribed is advised? 

Are you sure you will feel hungry and light-headed because of the few hours' preparation? Surely chicken broth and fruit juice are both more nourishing than beer?

I was interested to read that tea and coffee in an empty stomach make you feel unwell. Me too. It's reassuring to know this is not unusual.

• Posted

You really need to discuss this with the nurse/doctor when your appointment comes through, I was told not to eat anything at all after my evening meal the previous day, neither could I drink anything that had 'bits' in it and opted for plain water as it was only a few hours and didn't want to have to go through it all again if they couldn't get a clear view on colonoscopy.    Hope all goes well.
  • Posted

I think they will give you all the information prior to your colonoscopy, they will give you, I hope, a sheet of what to do prior to it. If I remember correctly two days before you'll have a light supper, the day before a breakfast, and the rest of the time drinking the preparation, then it's water, water, water. It's water, and laxatives 😳. The day of it they'll say. And more water, you won't feel that hungry because of all that water. Some of the stuff to drink tastes of fruit.

Are they giving you sedation? 

My first was an emergency so I didn't need the prep, I was in a bad way, bleeding. I didn't much care for the first time, the.next was drink so much!

I think you'll get the advice before of what to do. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.