NON EPILEPTIC ATTACK DISORDER!!!!!!!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have been suffering with this disorder for about 4 to 5 years. i was attacked outside work and started to fit they did the usuall tests and thought it was epilepsy then i have been told out of the blue that it is non eileptic attack disorder, i have changed i am not the person i used to be i feel trapped that i cant do the things that i used to do. i have no surpport of my family so i am dealing with this on my own. PLEASE CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO CONTROL THIS DISORDER I WOULD BE SO VERY GRATEFULL!!!!!!!!!! at the moment i am seeing soneone once a week to speak to and she has told me to use realaxation which i dont feel it is really helping but i am willing to give it a go please help i need some advice thankyou

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, not sure if it would help, but my niece had a few fits over a number of years. They tested her for all sorts, but couldn't reach any conclusions. Then, the last couple she had, we suddenly realised there was a bit of a pattern to them.

If she'd been out the night before, sometimes drinking, but others not, and had had a poor, or short night's sleep, and hadn't eaten much the next day....she had a fit.

The last one was the morning after her wedding day, when we were all having breakfast. Again, she'd had a late night, loads of excitement, stress and allsorts.

She's now learned to regulate herself, eat properly, and ensure she gets enough sleep, and she hasn't had one for three years now.

Hope you find a good solution to this soon

• Posted

Hi princess pink,

You have been through it.I am so sorry to read your story.

Sue516 has given you some good advice. Regular sleep, good plain diet and being happy is essential to recovering from any illness.

Your condition needs you to be strong. Try slow rythmic breathing to calm down your insides when you feel het up, counting slowly up to 100 and if possible lay down and try and visualise something that makes you smile. A walk along a beach, in a wood,in a park or by the seaside, whatever makes you feel relaxed.

A nice warm bath, listen to music that you enjoy, read a book, go to the cinema or theatre, whatever makes you feel a happier person.

I know it's very, very hard but you need to think positive. Sit down and draw a line down the middle of a piece of paper. Title one side 'things that make me feel good' on the other side 'things that make me feel bad'.

Then take time to sit and think what to put on each side. Then read it back to yourself. See if you can stop doing or change the things that upset you. Do more of things that make you feel good.You may even realise that things are not so bad after all.

Only you can change your way of thinking, you have been through so much and now need to be kind to yourself. It doesn't have to be expensive, buy yourself a bar of chocolate, a lovely juicy orange, a magazine.

There are millions of us out there feeling as you do. We have varied and very different medical/social conditions. Some are truly awful to live with.Some are painful, some are disfiguring.

The one thing that we all have in common is that we are the only ones that can really help ourselves. There are many organisations out there, you just need to contact them. You mention that you are seeing someone once a week. Really listen to what they say and decide to act on it, rather than think you can't do it, believe me you can.This disorder doesn't have to control you.. you must control it.

Bless you princess pink, the very best of luck to you. Remember you are in charge .. Fanny Jane.

• Posted

When my daughter was first diagnosed with NEAD, in 2010, I had never heard of it, and it was all very frightening. There was just the NEAD Trust website, and a bit of useful info on the Epilepsy website but now there is another website: www.nonepilepticattacks.info/

She and I are finding this very helpful indeed to share with friends, family and new professionals we meet who assume she has epilepsy when she has a seizure.

I hope this helps you too and you will begin to meet some of the lovely 000s of people who have this stress condition.

Just another thought - my daughter has ordered a medical ID bracelet from www.IdentifyYourself.com. to help her gain more independence.

• Posted

Hi Mother O.  Does you daughter still have NES?  My daughter was diagnosed with it a year ago now.  She was having counselling once a week but they didn't seem to work.  She is now seeing a psychiatrist once a week to try a different therapy to see if it will help.  She been having counselling for a year with no difference in her.  They started her on antidepressants in June but because of the side effects she got for them they have changed the medication.  She has also started to get "shocks" in her brain which seem to be getting worse.  She says that they started before she started the meds but cannot remember exactly when they started.  She ended up with quite bad concussion in February (after a seisure) and I wonder if this is when her "shocks" started - unfortunately she cannot remember.  The problem with the shocks is that they seem to be occuring every 7 - 10 seconds and when they do happen, if she is mid sentence, she forgets what she's said or is saying.  Is any of this familiar to you? How hold is your daughter and has she improved?
  • Posted

Hi, I started with this disorder 9 months ago. It started out very severe! Like 8 a day. I, too went through all the teats with no abnormal brain activity. It is a hard disorder to accept. My understanding is that it is our reaction to stress and anxiety.  My psychiatrist is giving me antidepressants and anti anxiety pills.  The episodes have gotten less. My counselor is having me journal and do relaxion excercise often. This helps too.  I joined a yoga class which I love. It is a journey that no one can really understand. For some reason this is our response to stress and our brains need to be retrained. 

Miss phyllis

• Posted

I began losing time after some difficult situations that were very stressful, working for a very sick woman(a friend committed suicide about a year after I began losing time) After going to a neurologist and EEGs all normal, I was sent to a psychologist who diagnosed me with Dissociative disorder. He gave me a narrative that seemed so believable, bringing up past events which seemed to add up. The losing time continued for two years, until at work one day,  I had a grand Mal. I went to a major hospital and the events of losing time were actually absence seizures. But what's interesting is that the narrative that the psychologist gave me is now part of my self, my feeling my inner self. The narrative seemed to hit the mark and explain so much about my life. PST has lots of bad effects, I feel that the abuse from a Socialpath caused these events and I still believe that the seizures began with this PTSD, though the neurologists disagree. I'm not sure what can be done. I had a friend who's girlfriend was in the deli with her Identical twin when a robbery occurred and her sister standing next to her  was shot and killed. My friend stated that she could not stop discussing the situation. I felt this way also, and found that talk does not help. It' like a scar that never heals and though you may need to discuss it, you go over and over it until the person listening loses patience. The best you can do, I think, is to accept the psychological scarring that will not heal and realize it will always be part of your life. My friend was just killed in a motor cyle accident and after they ampulated an arm and leg he bled out and died. This incident brought out all the feeling about my past situation and the feeling I have about my friend's suicide. I wish there were something to say. I have these racing thoughts at night, arguing with myself like I'm defending my self on trial. It does not end. I'm learning to think that this is now my life, or a piece of it I cant get rid of. But even that doesn't help. Im sorry I wish I could say something that could help. I do know what it feels like to be totally isolated, but still have to put on an act for people, even some who would like to help, but in the end only because it would make them feel good, its no use to talk, I feel best totally alone, but even then I only find myself staring out the window do you feel this way, it would help me to know how you may be dealing with people and life.
  • Posted

Hi Princess I also had seizures a year ago and it happened 3 times already... my last seizure was last march 2013 but now im not having seizures i only feel like i will fall i just dont know what is my case... Can Someone Help me...
  • Posted

Hello , I can sympathise with you , its a battle in your head somedays you want to go out but worry incase you will have a seizure. At the moment i dont go out on my own I have to have someone with me just incase as it has happend when i was on a bus once. Thats why I was adviced to get a Medi braclett to put on it "Seizures do not call Ambulance" which when I start going out on my own will give me abit of confidence and less drama and an unnessary trip to A&E and get the same response from hospital. Its a life changing experience one I feel you have to embrace and say ok so this is the way it is what can i do to help myself. I am approaching it this way. I have a two kids and a husband my daughter is great but my son & husband have gone abit distant. My husband has backed off in the bed room as a few times i have had a seizure after abit of rumpy pumpy. Thing is whats the alternative getting down isnt an option , grab it by the balls and take your life back. Hope therapy works out for you , hey relaxation treatments will be good for you treat yourself . I have trained in hopi ear candles / massage and I am a qualified beautician. so i will sit and paint my nails or give myself a facial. I dont know if you are married or have kids but you could even get them involved , let someone give you a facial. I hope what i have said helps. Its helping me talking to people like yourself that believe and understand. smile x
  • Posted

Hi princess pink,

the only advice I could give you is to keep a seizure diary which may show any patterns in your seizures and the triggers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.