Non-Reponder to Thyroid medications?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have quite the story.

In 2018 I (mistakingly, I didn’t know how to properly lose weight then) crash dieted and dropped a ton of weight over a year. Because of this seriously extended caloric restriction, my body really got upset. I became hypothyroid with a low Total T3, low Free T4, but still a normal TSH?

Well my doctor put me on levothyroxine. It didn’t do too much for me. Over the years my medication has titrated until I was eventually on 4 grains of armour thyroid (38mcg T3, 152mcg T4)... even at that dose my Free T3 and Free T4 were low! TSH was crushed, however.

I am now switched over to 50mcg Liothyronine Sodium and 150mcg Levothyroxine, and it’s day three. I still feel nothing, which is crazy to me as people say T3 is so fast acting.

Looking for some insight as to why I am having trouble absorbing my T3/T4. I take it on an empty stomach, always.

My diet consist of enriched white rice, oats, eggs, egg whites, fruits, green beans/asparagus, chicken, fish, avocado, potatoes, beef, steak, almonds.

Other things are Himalayan salt, table salt (iodized), Splenda/Stevia (lots), diet sodas, coffee, vitamin water, gatorade/propel

Supplements: selenium, multivitamins, ashwaghanda, L-glutamine, EAAs, beet root, garlic, vitamin E, P5P, vitamin c, vitamin d, probiotic (10-50 billion CFU), digestive enzymes, greens blend

Other drugs: Testosterone replacement

I am currently on 50/150 T3/T4, yet my levels are VERY subpar. I imagine there must be an absorption issue.

There have been little bouts (week or 2) where ill feel incredible, but they seem to fade with no consistency.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Taking medication on an empty stomach is good, its best to also drink lots of plain fluids and juices.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.