Non-surgical decompression therapy causing new herniation

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi. I had treatment for herniated discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1 which really helped with the pain.

21 sessions in total on the special stretching table, each session lasting 12 mins.

However, I now have a new herniated disc at T8-9 (thoracic) which is causing new pain travelling all over my body. The MRI report states this was likely to have been caused by a 'recent injury'.

I am trying to determine if the stretching might have caused the new herniation.

I asked the Chiropractor whether it's possible for decompression therapy optimised for L4/L5 & L5/S1 to have an impact on other areas of the spine. He keeps dodging the question. I asked him this before the MRI meaning before I knew about the Thoracic herniated disc. He said he can't answer the question without an up to date MRI which is what triggered the new scan. He still won't answer the question despite having the MRI report and images. My gut says it's his treatment that caused this, the timing is too coincidental for it not to be. I suspect he's worried about a possible law suit, that's all I can think of.

I asked a different Chiropractor for his opinion who said it's highly possible. So conclusion is the decompression treatment caused the new 'recent injury' probably by over-stretching.

Has anyone had similar experience where the treatment fixes one problem but causes another?

Many thanks.

P.S. Chiropractor halted treatment once I told him about the new symptoms. That was almost four weeks ago (took me that long to get an MRI appointment) and the original L4/L5 & L5/S1 pain has returned.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.