Not responding to antibiotics

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just started using d-mannose.  How long does it take before d-mannose starts working?  What would be dosage for chronic uti?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

D-Mannose never worked for me, but it helps many others. I always went from a little irritation to a full blown UTI and fever in about 6 hours. What have you tried to stop your chronic UTIs? I used to have them but I made many changes and haven't had one for 2.5 years. I've posted about it in other threads but will post the changes here if you'd like me to. 

• Posted

Hi Emmy , please do advise what you've done to stop your UTI's . thanks in advance

• Posted

Hi farah. Here are all the changes I made. After a UTI, the urinary tract heals but may be more susceptible now to infection.

1. Sterilize underwear every time they're laundered to make sure no bacteria remains. I do this by pretreating with hydrogen peroxide and then pouring boiling water on them before starting the washer. Then launder as usual (hot water setting).

2. Use only products made for sensitive skin. *If the tract gets irritated it's even more susceptible to infection.*

3. Keep the area dry. Wetness breeds bacteria. Change sanitary pads often so they never feel wet.

4. Prevent yeast infections because yeast can enter the urinary tract and cause irritation. I take a feminine probiotic to prevent yeast imbalance.

5. Shower or wash thoroughly after every bm, and during your period. It's so easy for E-Coli to transfer to the urinary tract because of how we’re made. I bought a handheld bidet too and use it several times daily. Even after just peeing, wipe toward the back. Don't dab vaginal area and then urethra. Yeast or bacteria may be present in or around the vagina. 

6. Consume only small amounts of (or eliminate) spicy food, soda, caffeine and alcohol, all of which irritate a urinary tract prone to infections.

7. Drink water throughout the day to keep urine diluted and flowing, so bacteria doesn't get a grip. I don't drink cranberry juice but many people swear by it. Use the bathroom when you feel urgency even if it's inconvenient. Not getting a UTI is more important.

8. Friction to the urethra can cause irritation and move bacteria up the tract, so take great caution with tight clothes, thongs, and sex.

I hope this helps! It did for me and I'm so relieved. 

• Posted

Thanks Emmy , i will def try these tips .... this recurrent bladder infections just kills my buzz and makes me feel so irritable.... but i will try these tips and see if it works for me. thanks for responding smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.