Not sure if I have herpes or not, please help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

5 days ago I got oral from a pretty sketchy person. It was such a stupid mistake. After i finished, I couldnt stop thinking about how dumb and risky it was. Ever since then all i thought about was how I probably have genital herpes now. About 3 days after the incident, I went to get a blood test to see if I indeed had it or not. The results just came back in today, and it came back NEGATIVE. I was really happy, but then saw online how you need to wait a couple weeks before you do a blood test. Now i'm upset again. I haven't had any visible symptoms of herpes. Although every now and then, I do feel uncomfort on the head of my penis. My legs felt sore. And the head of my penis was a little sensitive. I feel a little burning, but im not sure if thats just my mind playing tricks on me or not. But like i said, no visible signs (sores, ulcers, etc.)  What do you think? Is 3 days really to early to get a blood test done for herpes?? Could i still have it? Should i remain calm until i get visible signs like clusters of bumps or sores? Please help, im worried. 

Thank you!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think 3 days is too soon. And you do need to calm down and take a breath. If yoh really believe something enough your mind can play tricks and you may start to feel a way. Just bring it down a notch unless you get symptoms that cause legit concern. I understand how you feel though. Wishing you the best!
  • Posted

Hello. If you thought she had herpes or thought she was sketchy then why do it? You can have it for years until you start showing symptoms. There will be a burning sensation when you wee and little red bumps that turn in to blisters. Have you asked the person? That person might not have anything wrong with them. It could be all in your head as your over thinking.
  • Posted

Everyday people make mistakes.. But we all have to learn from them one day... if u are feeling so uncomfortable wait until a month or two and do another test to ease your mind.. Don't wait to see signs go before
  • Posted

Do you think if I definitely had herpes I would have lesions or ulcers at this point? It was 5 days ago. And I know I should remain calm, but it's just so hard.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you're going through this, I know this is a hard time but try to stay positive and know that herpes isn't the end of your life and is ultimately an annoying contagious skin condition (and to be honest the chance of you contracting it is quite small but it does happen)

The blood test will detect antibodies that your body produces in response to the virus, not the virus itself. So it can take up to 3 months (or even 4) for your body to produce them.

In regards to getting genital herpes from oral sex. Most people (approx 80%) have hsv1 (cold sores - oral herpes) whether they have had a cold sore or not. For both hsv 1 and 2 there is a thing called asymptomatic viral shedding, basically someone with either hsv 1 or 2 will still be contagious sometimes even if there are no symptoms.

So if the person had no symptoms. You can possibly still get it, but statistically you'd be unlucky.

The good news is, hsv1 isn't really a big deal (like everyone has it) and it's also A LOT more minor on your genitals (because it prefers to be on the mouth). And the chances of you spreading it when you do t have symptoms are the same as pretty much anyone giving anyone else unprotected oral sex.

And more good news is that hsv2 is uncommon on people's mouths.

So basically, you statistically have a low chance of getting either of them on your genitals, and if you did get one its probably hsv1 which isn't really going to affect you.

But if it is hsv2 as I said its not the end of your life and hsv2 is really common (25% of American women have hsv2 on their genitals) so try not to worry biggrin

You can't really get any definite answers unless blisters develop and you can have a doctor look at them or in 3 months time with a blood test. Good luck

• Posted

Update: my penis is really sensitive right now, and is causing me discomfort. Still no visible signs of anything, but its has a tingling sensation which is annoying as hell. I'm really scared now. I'm almost certain i have herpes now. 
    • Posted

jaussie -- like elle said -- sorry you are going through this, but this is NOT a death sentence.  As another Sabrina said,  we all make mistakes/have bad judgement -- being hard on yourself simply won't change nor help the situation.  So, breath in, breath out.

It could just be a mild skin reaction, as herpes sores usually appear pretty quickly.   But try and be patient, and even if the symptoms fade soon, get another blood test in a couple of months.  

It's embarassing, and your first thought is that your sex life is over.  If it is herpes, it can be managed.  So, for most, it's not the end of your sex life, but it should be the end of risky sex.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.