not sure what symptoms are this?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am mid 30's . Recently , i experience this. Not to sure if it's allergy but to breathe in. i felt i needed to inhale deeply then i felt better. Twice, when i felt i am not getting enough air, i tried to breathe deeply but was coughing non stop and felt tired after it stopped. it feels scary to experience this when one feels they are not getting enough air.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It certainly is scary when you feel like you can't breathe. But it's difficult to know if you have asthma, based on two of episodes of SOB (shortness of breath). The coughing fits when you inhale do sound suspiciously like asthma. I hate to say you might have to experience several more fits before a doctor will diagnose asthma. There just isn't any blood test or anything to confirm it. But they can listen to your lungs through a stethoscope to hear if you are also wheezing. You can also be allergy tested to determine what you might be allergic to, and therefore what is likely to cause your breathing problems. Most importantly, go to the ER when you have SOB. The inhaler medicine can also help diagnose asthma. Generally, if your breathing gets better after an albuterol treatment. it is probably asthma. If it's something else, you won't respond to the albuterol. I don't wish asthma on you, but I know it's better to know there's a reason for SOB, and treatment for it.

Best of luck.

• Edited

Oh, I wanted to add that when I am having an asthma attack, I tend to cough violently when I breathe OUT after they (medical people) make me take a big breath in and they're trying to listen through the stethoscope. But nobody really needs a stethoscope to hear my asthma because I wheeze so loudly. It's the one "good" thing about loud wheezing. You get taken seriously and treated quickly.

• Posted

Yes it does feels scary when that happen cos i was alone at home. when you can't catch you breath. i remember my throat felt tight as well. I remember i had to inhale deeply and was coughing after that. Is it normal to feel tired after a coughing fit?

• Posted

It happen again today. I felt i had to work harder to take in a breath and was coughing non stop for a few minutes. felt during that time like my airways are getting tighter. it's scary when you realize that if this continues you may die. is this considered serious .how do you know when the attacks will come.

• Posted

Well, you don't usually know when you're going to have an attack. But if you are diagnosed with asthma or COPD (like chronic bronchitis) the doctor would prescribe an emergency inhaler that you're supposed to keep with you at all times. That gust of inhaler medicine - albuterol - can save your life when you can't breathe and you're home alone.

The best advice I can give you is to see a doctor ASAP. Tell her/him your symptoms and go from there. And absolutely call an ambulance when you can't breathe! The coughing fits could be a lung problem, or your airways being irritated for some reason...maybe an allergic reaction to something. Whatever the case, it's best to see a medical professional when the condition is happening, or right after.

I wish you well, and keep letting me know how you're doing. 🙂 I will always write back and share my experiences, if they can help.

• Posted

I had it again today and was coughing non stop for a longer time and loud plus airways felt much tighter today than before. But how can i call for emergency if i keep coughing i won't be able to speak in a sentence. Will definitely see the doctor immediately as i am scared is getting worst. Realize when you have SOB it's scary.

• Posted

Had another SOB attack. Feel like is becoming frequent and can happen anytime of the day. I want to call for help but can't talk as so hard to breathe. My throat feels so tight. The clinic i want to go to the doctor isn't around. Now i understand how asthma is so scary.

• Posted

Making an appointment to see the doctor today. Hope he or she can see me. It's difficult when you can't breathe and during the attack and you feel you can't get enough air cos your throat feels so tight like not enough air is getting into you. is like i want fresh air but i can't. After the attack , my body feels very tired. Is it normal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.