Not taking preventer inhaler for a few days advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

I take a steroid preventer inhaler 2 times twice a day. Recently my surgery changed this preventer inhaler from Seretide to Combisol. I was taking Combisol which doesn't have a meter at the back like Seretide where you can keep track how many doses are left inside. I was writing down on paper how many doses I took and after 60 puffs or so the canister started to feel really empty and now I'm not getting enough medicine in my lungs, it is just a tiny puff. Now though they've let me back on Seretide but I will have to wait a few days for it to arrive in the Pharmacy because I have to wait over the weekend and 2 working days.

My question is if you're not taking a preventer inhaler for a few days because you've ran out, is this bad or normally well tolerated? I have my Ventolin inhaler still, should I take more puffs of that whilst I wait for my preventer inhaler? I have mild asthma but don't want it to worsen whilst I wait, I can't remember not taking a preventer inhaler for a few days.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am sure that there will be better responses to your question than mine but I am wondering if your canister of Combisol is as empty as you think it is.

How many doses are indicated in the accompanying leaflet? 60 does not seem very much to me although I am not familiar with Combisol.

I would keep using the canister but also speak to your Pharmacist and ask him/her to expedite the Seretide for you. Sometimes, if you have a good relationship with your pharmacy, they may just give you a Seretide from stock if they can be sure that a prescription will follow. I would have thought that Seretide is something that a pharmacy would keep in stock (although these are difficult times for them). Speak to them first thing tomorrow morning and see if they can help you.

As to how you will be if your Combisol has actually run out, no one knows. It will depend on how you are in yourself. It takes several days for these drugs to work fully so perhaps it takes several days before you are back to square one! Hopefully there will be someone better informed than I to advise you. The lesson here is to try to keep one step ahead and not to run out (easily written, I know and we have probably all done it at one time or another!).

I hope you keep well.

Regards

• Posted

Hi Oliman, You CAN be okay for a few days, while you are waiting for your other inhaler, if you have triggers, just be more vigilant to avoid any triggers for those few days.....DONT automatically take more of the other one.... you can use the rescue inhaler more often BUT only if you need it, its not for preventative use but, it will keep you from having a full blown attack, until then, DO NOT EXCEED the MAXIMUM DAILY DOSAGE...Get your preventative, start using it again and you should be fine...don't stress or worry about it, should be fine...Good Luck & call the Dr or pharmacy if you start having issues before then!! BEST WISHES💒☮🎶🐾🌈🍀♾

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.