NSU Treatment Faliure?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had urethritis for about 3 months now and it is causing some anxiety. 2 urine tests negative gonorreah and chlamydia, 2 gram smears confirming previous gonorreah result and confirming signs of infection (Non-specific). 

First treatment - 100mg doxycycline x 2 per day x 7 days (just me), improved symptoms for about 6 weeks but urethritis came back again

second treatment - 100mg doxycyline x2 per day x 7 days (myself & partner) did not clear it completely, went to GUM clinic who did additional smear to confirm NSU still present,

Third Treatment - 1g azithromycin single dose (me & partner), i had this 6 days ago, symptoms cleared almost 100% by day 3 but today (day 6) i feel a 'presence' and a discomfort which i have associated as the begginning of an episode of urethritis, is this just psychological and i just have to wait 2/3 weeks before re-test or can i go back to ask if they are sure i am recieving correct treatment.

It drives me a little crazy to be honest but is not hurting yet and i have had no discharge, is it possible to intermittently feel like this for no reason?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Did you contact an urologist? Makes me concerned that you haven't mentioned speaking to a doctor first. 

However, if these symptoms don't clear up, it would be wise to get checked by a dermatologist or allergist too. 

Urethritis is an umbrella term because it's usually caused by bacteria, usually gonorrhea or chlamydia but since it's ruled out, you might wanna check yourself for trichomoniasis, mycoplasma or E.coli . Ask which tests are required.

You mentioned inflammation is no longer present if there was any to begin with but you might consider it to be caused by chemical irritant or anitseptic reaction. 

Again, only you know that. A less common possibility is that since this symptom bothered you so much, you might have developd a psycho somatic associated obsession although it doesn't sound like that's the case here. 

Whatever the cause it might be, speak to your doctor ASAP and require additional testing and screening. Blood work is also important. 

Please don't prolong it. Untreated urethritis can lead to long term damage to the urinary tract, kidney and bladder.

Don't wait up. Contact your local health provider and stop taking medication in the meanwhile. Can't wait to hear from you.

Update your status and let me know how it goes. Take care and stay safe.   

• Posted

Since gonorrhea might be a likely cause, it would be possible that you might have interrupted the treatment, hence why the infection came back. When you visit your doctor, detail your symptoms in full extent, discuss your sexual history and don't hesitate to speak it loud and clear. 

Might be embarassing short term but it's better speaking and resolving it than dealing with the consequences later. 

• Posted

I have something similar 2 full suite of test negative but still felt the discomfort. Then i found a post about CRANBIOTIC. I have taken it for three days now and its had a really positive affect. I think so long as you have been tested and found to be clear you need to rebuild your urethars natural protection as the antibiotics can strip it of its own natural protection. 2 caps in the morning its working for me.
  • Edited

SO just an update for people who stumble upon this.

Evidently it was Thrush. Went to the GP & The Anti-bioitics had killed off all the flora, especially those that control candidia. A course of fluconazole and canesten cleared everything and am now back to 100% health.

• Posted

Hi Tony,

great news you managed to get to the bottom of it.

what were the symptoms and was thrush of the urethra diagnosed ?

thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.