numbness after hip replacement surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

numbness after hip replacement surgery in the non-surgical hip - my entire pelvis is numb 5 weeks after the surgery - especially on the non-surgical side...what has caused this and will it go away?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That sounds like a very difficult situation! I'd be seeing my surgeon right away. Doesn't sound normal at all to me. Good like with diagnosis and treatment.

• Posted

hi wendy, 

Warm welcome to the best hippies forum - 

Hip replacement surgery is pretty brutal - Your leg needs to be forcefully manipulated in order to get the joint out and might have affected the other leg -

other parts of your body are affected as well, including the pelvic ..

I agree with Annie ... have you contacted your surgeon about this ?  

did you have this during your hospital stay ?

Please come back here and let us know how you are getting on okay?

Maybe you can share more about yourself as well ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Don't know if this is the same,but I had a numb bum upto 6 weeks check up.It gradually improved after that time and is fine now

Janet

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Ihad the very same thing happen, and the numbness went right down to my knee. Its on the opposite side to surgery,and i still have it and im 14 weeks post op.My surgeon says it can be due to the position you are put into, i had posterial cut. He says the hammering and pulling about can upset all the nerve endings of the leg thats underneath taking all the wieght and truma. He is not optitmistic that it will come back to how it was, but it is getting less bothersome to me.My PT reckons it could be more like damage from the epidural. I hope your improves. Wendy xo

• Posted

Thank you for your response! My thoughts have been along the epidural line - I'm in week 5 post surgery so I'm hopeful. It's especially bothersome when I'm trying to sleep - that side offers my operated hip relief with the wedged pillow but the numbness of the non-operated hip drives me nuts and actually hurts (if that makes any sense) but it does hurt past an hour or so and wakes me up. The only other position I can sleep in yet is on my back and I've never been a back sleeper so that's aweful too! I'll see the surgeon next week so I'll be picking his brain for sure! Thanks again! 

• Posted

please let us know what your surgeon says,i will be very interested.Yes i know what you mean,it sounds silly to say it feels dead and numb, but it hurts and sometimes feels like hundreds of pins sticking into you.Keep us updated.
  • Posted

Sounds like nerve damage to me - and I only just found out that the document that I signed just before going in for surgery absolved the surgeon from any nerve damage that occurred.  Luckily I hardly had any.
  • Posted

I too had a hip replacement 6 yrs ago in 2017 & if i sleep on the replacement side my entire leg goes numb.. once i roll on my back or other side it goes away... the hip dr blames my back and my back dr blames my hip...im getting nowhere..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.