Nurofen Plus Long Term

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

If someone was to take Nurofen Plus, let's say 3 or 4 tablets every day for years would it cause any life threatening problems? I'm talking your standard 200 mg tablets.

Just looking for advice. Probably the correct answer is to just stop or cut down completely. I usually take 3 at night and that's it as it helps with restless legs. It's become a habit rather than addiction and I'm slightly concerned now I need to make a plan to come off them or just take them occasionally like every few days.

My current health:

1. Smoke 7 cigs per day.
  2. 10 mg Zolpidem every night or 5mg (10 years I've been on them for my mental health and horrific sleeping since young)
  3. Prorpanalol and Setraline once a day for anxiety which in my opinion does help
  4. Cut down to moderate drinking from a period of being reckless. Usually 3 days non drinking most weeks
  5. Had a health test a few weeks back and it all said normal but I'm not sure I believe it. I just can't be OK?
  6. Always get dodgy stomach from anxiety. With or without any above medication I've always been known to s**t my pants occasionally

I just want to take my propranolol, Setraline and Zolpidem and have my alcohol in moderation with smoking at low levels. Why have I got to throw in painkillers, I'm worried I'm going to drop dead tomorrow.

That's 3 different regular medications and then a few "safe" painkillers.

I'm scared to say to my doctor, look I feel I need help again and I may be taking painkillers to help with stress, but worried he just stops me on my regular medication that's been good to me for years.

I went on Zolpidem in 2011 when I wanted to die, I couldn't cope, since then I've got a job, married my wife, have a gorgeous little dog, bought a house and 2 months ago had a gorgeous baby girl. None of those things seemed a slight possibility back then.... So it's safe to say I have relied on medication.

Just generally concerned the Nurofen Plus will kill me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I can't remember if those are 8 or 12 mg codeine sulfate. I can tell you that the amount of codeine you're talking about isn't going to negatively affect your health, even for that long. It's just too small a dose. To be truthful, opiate narcotics aren't as bad on the body long term as many people think. I used to take those, 5 at a time, several times a day. I've taken much stronger opiates for years and I'm 70 and in excellent health. This is probably because I also get lots of aerobic exercise. The only possible problem you could have as a result of taking Nurofen Plus for many years is stomach problems from the ibuprofen. The best thing is to try and get by with as few medications as you can.

• Posted

Hi Garry,

Let me tell you what my addiction to N+ did to me. its a bit long but ill try to keep it as brief as I can.

I started taking N+ when I was wd'ing from Tramadol. N+ really helped but inevitibly i became addicted to it and as time went on, my tolerance increased as did my pill intake. at the height i was taking up to 64 a day. ibuprofen is VERY bad for the tummy but, as with all addicts, i didnt care about the risks nor did i really believe anything would happen to me. Wow, how wrong i was

So, after around 3/4 years of this i started getting poorly every few months for around one year. i couldnt eat and would vomit but i just put it down to bugs. Then in December it happened again but this time it wasnt going away and was getting worse. I was back and forth to the GP who said it was a tummy bug and prescribed painkillers and sickness tablets but that was no good bc i couldnt keep them down . Back and forth i went but no change.

one Saturday night, about 10 days i had an awful pain in my stomach, i couldnt get any relief at all and eventually had to call an ambulance. the pain was absolute agony, even morphine didnt stop it. I went to hospital, bloods were taken but i was fobbed off with IBUPROFEN and sent home. By the time Weds rolls around im vomiting every 20 mins and now there's blood in it. Back to hospital I go. This time they took blood gasses (which last time they did not) and they showed high infection markers and low hemoglobin. I was sent for a CT scan. the scan showed i had a perforation somewhere but they didnt know exactly where bc they couldnt see for all the peritonial fluid that was floating around. i had to have emergancy open abdo surgery which lasted for 6/7 hrs. Turned out I'd had a stomach ulcer which had burst, rupturing my stomach. If I hadnt gone back to hospital when i did, i would have died.

I was then in hospital for a month bc my body was fighting huge infection as well as trying to heal. I was incredibly ill and incredibly lucky to be alive.

i ended up having to have another op around 2 years later to fix a hernia which was a result of my abdo surgery.

it took me a VERY long time to get better.

if you must take these tablets then please at least also take something like omeprozol so your stomach is more protected. Of course, itd be better if you stopped all together but only you can decide when and how to travel that road.

Please please please be careful, look after yourself

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.