Obese teenager

Posted , 5 users are following.

my 16 yr old son has been gaining weight since he was about 12 to the point of being obese. he also has mild - medium ADD and dyspraxia and goes to a local 'outstanding' secondary school and obtained 8 GCSEs last year. his teachers say he can be v intelectual when hes focused.

we r v careful and do home cooked food most days. he keeps eating stashes of choc/packs of biscuits and foods like this. he is 5'10 and must weigh over 20 stone (never lets us weigh him).

i dont know what to do!! help!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Tell him to stop doing this. It causes health issues as we get older. It increase the death rate and heart problems and high sugar intake is bad for the digestive system. He needs to have balance. When he grows and becomes older he will regret doing these things. I have always eaten healthy, but at his age i eat more junk foods. Too much junk food is junk to the system.

• Posted

Perhaps it's time for the entire family to make a healthy life style change. Start by throwing out all those snacks or limiting them to a few times a week. Then mixing in healthy snacks. Home cooking is great as long as ur using minimal ingredients and not frying everything. Increase veg and fruit but it's going to take some time, especially if he's 20 stone. Perhaps try getting outside of the house more regularly if ur not doing that. Even a daily brisk walk could help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.