Odd lung recovery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all!  I have kind of a complicated story here.  On Jan 9th of 2015 I was working undercover as a narcotics detective.  This op came to an abrupt end when I was shot 8 times in the chest and abdomen with a .45 handgun.  Every one of my major organ minus my heart and brain were struck.  Both of my lungs were shot and started to collapse pretty quickly.  Ultimately I lost a little bit of lung  but was able to recover.

Oddly enough, I recently noticed that I could hold my breath longer.  Tonight I timed myself and was able to hold my breath under water for 1 minute and 10 seconds without even starting to feel distressed.  That's the longest I have ever been able to hold my breath and I used to be in the Infantry.   Due to my injuries I can't work out, I'm overweight and I don't do any lung exercises.  I'd love to hear some theories about this.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, 861. I was in a nasty accident where I was t-boned on my side, ribs crushed thereby lung punctured, pneumothorax. It collapsed again after they repaired it in the hospital, so I get what your saying about your lung being removed. When my ribs where broken, i couldnt breathe normal for a long time, but being a singer, i used to love singing long notes.

Theoretically, maybe you are forcing yourself to make up for the lack of what you lost. Like my right side rib cage is still a bit flatter since the accident, but I can now, finally, sing my longer notes. It took almost 5 years, but imI'm there. God bless you for surviving. My husband was 14 years with the LA Sheriff Dept. Jesus loves you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.